Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Front bumper dent?

Old 03-22-2017, 02:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front bumper dent?

Hi,

Does anyone know how to get an front bumper dent (driver side) out? My jeep is a 2015 wrangler sport 4 door. It a stock bumper.

Any ideas would be great

thanks
Old 03-22-2017, 02:23 PM
JK Freak

Default Plastic Bumper

Originally Posted by Musicknot007
Hi,

Does anyone know how to get an front bumper dent (driver side) out? My jeep is a 2015 wrangler sport 4 door. It a stock bumper.

Any ideas would be great

thanks
You can drill a small hole underneath in the area of the dent and try to blow it out with an air hose with the proper sized connection for the hole you drilled.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi,

Any ideas would be great

thanks
It most likely creased the plastic and you won't be able to get it straight without showing the crease. But pulling it out should be a pretty simple matter, just hot-glue a bolt head to the center of the dent, pull on the bolt (pops the dent out), then peel the hot glue off (along with the bolt), maybe with the aid of a plastic scraper of some kind (I use a guitar pick).

The best thing to do would be to look on Craigslist and find a used nearly-new front bumper for nearly free and just replace it. I just gave away one set of front and rear bumpers for free and sold another set along with a mint-condition front from my 2015 for $20.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

If you got a little cash, a sawzall and a smidge of mechanical skills you can buy stubby bumper caps for like $80. you cut i believe 3 1/2 inches off each end of the bumper and screw the caps onto the bumper. A lot of folks think the stubby looks better and it allows more turning clearance for larger tires.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:15 AM
JK Newbie

The best fix is a steel or aluminum bumper. The stock ones are worthless.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Heat it up with a hair dryer. Push around the dent and it will pop out. I used to dent mine all the time off roading with the stock bumpers. 90% of the time this worked depending on where it is. On a bigger corner crease I had to pop a hole in it and pull it out. At that point the bumper was fairly scratched up and ready to be removed anyhow. If it is a bigger crease, someone else mentioned glue or something... made me think that a duct tape puller might work. Use a nail and some washers or something to pull under and through duct tape might give you enough pulling force. Regardless of how bad it is use a hair dryer to heat it up good first. Making the plastic softer will help.
The following users liked this post:
medicjwilson (01-27-2022)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,

Any ideas would be great

thanks
Can you provide a picture?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Buy a takeoff front bumper cheap. Lots of them come up and people are lucky to get $40 for them.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I gave mine away when I replaced them.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone had backed into my bumper and put a good size puck in it. What I did was drill a 3/4" hole behind the bumper. These bumpers are hollow so you will need to do this to access to the dent. Next I made a tool out of a stainless steel lab spoon I had lying around. Basically you need something to insert in the hole to push against the dent but you want it to be as flat and wide as possible otherwise you will create white stress marks in the plastic. Next, heat the dent with a heat gun. A hair dryer didn't work for me. It didn't come close to getting the plastic soft enough to work with. Be patient. You want to soften the plastic not burn or melt it. When the plastic is soft carefully work the dent out from the back. Don't push too hard in one spot or you'll create white stress marks. Once again be patient. After the dent has been removed to your satisfaction continue to heat the bumper and apply some sort of black dye coloring. I used forever black which was designed to freshen up tires, flares etc... Doing this while the plastic is hot allows it to penetrate the plastic and did a great job of hiding the white stress marks. Finally I had a plastic plug I siliconed into the hole I drilled. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2904513671.jpg
Views:	688
Size:	880.8 KB
ID:	669118   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-594353889.jpg
Views:	917
Size:	563.5 KB
ID:	669119  

Quick Reply: Front bumper dent?