Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Front Bumper Replacement

Old 09-20-2016, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Bumper Replacement

So on Friday of last week my 2013 Jeep rear ended another vehicle. No damage to the truck I hit but his hitch definitely tore up my front bumper. That being said there was no damage to his truck at all, it was reported to the police and I wasn't written a ticket so this has me looking into getting a new front bumper.

The only thing I have done to my Wrangler since I purchased it new is replace all of the speakers with JL Audio C2's and put in a new head unit. I'd like to eventually get bigger tires put on it as well as a hard top because I'm moving up north to Colorado soon (currently live in Florida). I also wanted a new front bumper and now it looks like now is better than ever.

If I file a claim with my insurance it will cost me $250 to replace it with a stock bumper so instead I'd like to spend the $250 on my own aftermarket bumper. If you all could please post what would be a great black bumper to have for the $250 price range on a white Jeep Wrangler your opinions are very much welcome!
Old 09-20-2016, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

$250 isn't very much to put towards a new bumper, so I don't have any specific recommendations. However, folks who replace their front bumpers often give away their old bumper for free. You might check CL, local Jeep club, etc. Save the $250 until you can afford the bumper you need and want.

A few considerations: If you plan to install a winch, ensure it is compatible with whatever one you want--many charge extra for the winch mounting plate. Night driving might also mean you need light mounting tabs. And of course you'll want decent recovery points for whatever bumper you choose.

Edit: Oh, and one last thing. I've never tried it on the front, but we used a compressor to "inflate" a friend's rear bumper and push out a couple dents in it. Didn't look new, but certainly looked much better. There are a couple small holes in the bumper that we had to plug before we could do it. But it worked surprisingly well.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-20-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
$250 isn't very much to put towards a new bumper, so I don't have any specific recommendations. However, folks who replace their front bumpers often give away their old bumper for free. You might check CL, local Jeep club, etc. Save the $250 until you can afford the bumper you need and want.

A few considerations: If you plan to install a winch, ensure it is compatible with whatever one you want--many charge extra for the winch mounting plate. Night driving might also mean you need light mounting tabs. And of course you'll want decent recovery points for whatever bumper you choose.

Edit: Oh, and one last thing. I've never tried it on the front, but we used a compressor to "inflate" a friend's rear bumper and push out a couple dents in it. Didn't look new, but certainly looked much better. There are a couple small holes in the bumper that we had to plug before we could do it. But it worked surprisingly well.
Yeah I'd be willing to probably spend more I just wanna keep it affordable. I'm not looking to do anything like off-roading. Just going for the looks. I have thought about a winch but I wouldn't get any use out of it.

I can afford a new bumper but don't want anything crazy expensive, just something that looks good. I'll have a look on extremeterrain.com this evening.
Old 09-20-2016, 08:48 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Riptide09
Yeah I'd be willing to probably spend more I just wanna keep it affordable. I'm not looking to do anything like off-roading. Just going for the looks. I have thought about a winch but I wouldn't get any use out of it.

I can afford a new bumper but don't want anything crazy expensive, just something that looks good. I'll have a look on extremeterrain.com this evening.
Ah-hah. That changes things. Sorry that I'm not familiar with the inexpensive hardware out there, but now that you have made that clear I expect someone will chime in. Of course, what looks good is all in the eyes of the beholder, and one thing you'll learn with a Jeep is that there are a ton of mod options. Good luck with your build!
Old 09-20-2016, 08:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are a large variety of cheap Chinese bumpers on eBay that would probably serve you well.

Anything with a winch mount and recovery points is gonna cost double what you're willing to throw at it.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:08 AM
JK Freak

Default Bumper

Look at Trail Ready. They make a nice midsize bumper that is close to your price range. And it is made in U.S. as opposed to import type of which you may have issues. I just put one on last week. Best deal for it was on EBAY. Take a look.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E-autogrill
Old 09-20-2016, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kellen
E-autogrill
^^^love mine. Came with recessed winch mount, 2 d-rings and fog light mounts. I chose the mid length with grill guard. Which also has 2 light tabs.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

If you had an aftermarket bumper similar to the one you seek on your Jeep at the time of the accident, you definitely would have damaged the truck your Jeep hit. As a matter of fact, the roles as far as damage is concerned probably would have been the opposite. Providing your Chinese bumper would have been up to the task.
Old 09-21-2016, 01:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you even report it to your insurance? Especially if he sustained no damages. That's crazy to me. An oem bumper can be had everyday of the week for free or if you're really generous, $50.

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Replacement