Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Front End Removeable Winch mounts?

Old 03-18-2013, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Front End Removeable Winch mounts?

So I purchased a winch and now I'm starting to plan out how I'm going to mount this thing on my JK.

I really want to go with some kind of quick disconnect removable option for 2 reasons.
1. I'ld like to be able to move the winch from the front and put it on the rear if needed.
2. Would be nice to store the winch in the garage when I'm not using it, to protect it from the elements.

I know for reason 1, there are winching techniques to keep the winch on the front and be able to pull your Jeep backwards. However, when I look at those, they seem to rely upon having 3 different trees/anchor points in the correct positions and when you get stuck, who knows if that is going to be a feasible option? Chances are I'ld be wheeling by myself with friends and family onboard, without another vehicle around to help. So, if I get stuck going forward into a mud hole, I would like to have a more reliable option of pulling the winch off the front and putting it on the back and pulling myself backwards from which I came.

So, I'm thinking right now that a hitch mount would work best for me. (Yes, I've already read how that isn't the safest or most secure mount, although would like to hear ways to make it more secure and safe). However, when I look at the front of my JK, I'm not sure of the best place to install a hitch mount on the front. Not sure if I need a new bumper. Not sure if there is a removable winch mounting option without needing to use a hitch mount that will work on the front and rear.

I'm really looking for some ideas, some of you might have already done when installing a front end mounted winch that can be easily removed.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
So I purchased a winch and now I'm starting to plan out how I'm going to mount this thing on my JK.

I really want to go with some kind of quick disconnect removable option for 2 reasons.
1. I'ld like to be able to move the winch from the front and put it on the rear if needed.
2. Would be nice to store the winch in the garage when I'm not using it, to protect it from the elements.

I know for reason 1, there are winching techniques to keep the winch on the front and be able to pull your Jeep backwards. However, when I look at those, they seem to rely upon having 3 different trees/anchor points in the correct positions and when you get stuck, who knows if that is going to be a feasible option? Chances are I'ld be wheeling by myself with friends and family onboard, without another vehicle around to help. So, if I get stuck going forward into a mud hole, I would like to have a more reliable option of pulling the winch off the front and putting it on the back and pulling myself backwards from which I came.

So, I'm thinking right now that a hitch mount would work best for me. (Yes, I've already read how that isn't the safest or most secure mount, although would like to hear ways to make it more secure and safe). However, when I look at the front of my JK, I'm not sure of the best place to install a hitch mount on the front. Not sure if I need a new bumper. Not sure if there is a removable winch mounting option without needing to use a hitch mount that will work on the front and rear.

I'm really looking for some ideas, some of you might have already done when installing a front end mounted winch that can be easily removed.
I am in Se Mich also originaly I was going to say nix that idea but we might be close enough to get together and do some brainstorming, I got a few ideas
Old 03-18-2013, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RDH475
I am in Se Mich also originaly I was going to say nix that idea but we might be close enough to get together and do some brainstorming, I got a few ideas
The only thing I've found so far is a bumper replacement made by Olympic. That might do the trick, but just not sure of how secure/strong that hitch receiver is welded on that bumper.

Olympic 4x4 Products 533-171 - Olympic 4x4 Products Front Rock Bumper with Hitch for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 03-19-2013, 11:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
The only thing I've found so far is a bumper replacement made by Olympic. That might do the trick, but just not sure of how secure/strong that hitch receiver is welded on that bumper.

Olympic 4x4 Products 533-171 - Olympic 4x4 Products Front Rock Bumper with Hitch for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
I did some thinking about it and I came up with a much stronger way to do a removable mount you could use the factory front but you would need a different rear hows youre fabrication skills???
Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

I did some thinking about it and I came up with a much stronger way to do a removable mount you could use the factory front but you would need a different rear hows youre fabrication skills???
I have no fab skills. I'm all electrical skilled by trade.

Been thinking about buying a welder though, taking off the front bumper and trying to figure out the best way to weld some kind of mount to the frame.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, here's my current solution idea for the removable front mount.

Get this front end hitch by Hidden Hitch. It says in the product details, it can handle up to a 9000lb winch.

Then, I'll probably go with the Warn removable hitch mount or something similar.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

I've considered going a similar route, but the biggest issue I see is that a front receiver will hang to low and cause the winch to be too low and too far out front. I've gone down some extremely steep things in Moab, and I can see a winch out front like that would be a problem. I think up on top of the bumper area and closer to the grill would be better if something could be fabbed.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jckid
I've considered going a similar route, but the biggest issue I see is that a front receiver will hang to low and cause the winch to be too low and too far out front. I've gone down some extremely steep things in Moab, and I can see a winch out front like that would be a problem. I think up on top of the bumper area and closer to the grill would be better if something could be fabbed.
That was exactly my concern. I was thinking it would be nice if there was a way to put that hitch on, but in an upside down manor, so that the hitch receiver came out on top of the bumper.

It sounds like I definitely need to pull off my front bumper and see what kind of options I have to work with so that receiver is up higher.
Old 03-21-2013, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have some great ideas to put a mount up on top for you but I dont want to have to pull my bumper off to draw it up, my idea also adresses the side to side, and twisting strength that warns mount lacks. warns mount is decent but it has to try and fit every application
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

I have some great ideas to put a mount up on top for you but I dont want to have to pull my bumper off to draw it up, my idea also adresses the side to side, and twisting strength that warns mount lacks. warns mount is decent but it has to try and fit every application
So you have the ability to cut steal and weld it to actually fab something yourself?

Quick Reply: Front End Removeable Winch mounts?