Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

GAS CAP Message

Old 10-08-2015, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS CAP Message

GAS CAP Message came on after checking the cap to be on properly. Message continues to come on. Any advise on how to deal with this??!
Thanks!!
Old 10-08-2015, 09:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes the message takes a bit to go away. Some douche popped off my cap on my driveway and I did t notice till the light came on. Put the cap back on but the message didn't go away till about 100km.

If it doesn't go away, its detecting a big leak somewhere or a sensors gone bad. Check around your evap can to see if there's any damage or leaks.
Old 10-08-2015, 10:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jkrookie
GAS CAP Message came on after checking the cap to be on properly. Message continues to come on. Any advise on how to deal with this??! Thanks!!
happened to me. Was not the gas cap. It was a very slight air escape in the tube that goes into the Evap canister. I tweaked that tube. The gas cap message went out and never came back. That was 2 years ago. Here is a picture of the hose I'm talking about.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2410184385.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	345.4 KB
ID:	626787  
Old 10-11-2015, 10:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

I just solved mine. When I went to replace my battery, I smacked the linear purge valve right there. The bottom stem of the valve snapped off, and threw a code for a small leak. In time, the GASCAP message came too. Replaced the part, no issues.

Essentially, the vacuum is compromised. You'll see that the "ECO" light will no longer work with the gascap message on. Find the leak, find the problem. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2015, 06:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas cap message

Had that message, Jeep dealer couldn't fix in 3 tries. Independent local garage found it. Bad wire, will check bill and get the name of the wire.

Quick Reply: GAS CAP Message