Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

German Shepard and Jeep

Old 02-12-2016, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default German Shepherd and Jeep

Hi,

I have a 2 door and German Shepherd pup around 9 weeks. I was curious to see some pic of others with large dogs and 2 door setup to suite the dogs needs for travel.

Crates, travel crates? dog divider?

What do you do with the xlarge crate if you take long trips that require the dog to be in the hotel? The crate doesn't fit in the back; guess I can get a roof rack.

Last edited by combolc; 02-12-2016 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-12-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by combolc
Hi, I have a 2 door and German Shepherd pup around 9 weeks. I was curious to see some pic of others with large dogs and 2 door setup to suite the dogs needs for travel. Crates, travel crates? dog divider? What do you do with the xlarge crate if you take long trips that require the dog to be in the hotel? The crate doesn't fit in the back; guess I can get a roof rack.
metal crates are available that fold to only a few inches thick. You could get a $50 cargo carrier for your hitch from harbor freight. Back when I had a 2door, I just had my Rottweiler sit on the seat. Didn't worry about confining in any way.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by combolc
Hi,

I have a 2 door and German Shepherd pup around 9 weeks. I was curious to see some pic of others with large dogs and 2 door setup to suite the dogs needs for travel.

Crates, travel crates? dog divider?

What do you do with the xlarge crate if you take long trips that require the dog to be in the hotel? The crate doesn't fit in the back; guess I can get a roof rack.
My 90lb Golden is always my co pilot for weekends at my cabin. I pulled out my back seat the first day I picked up the Rubicon. Plenty of room for her and supplies!!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	637441
Old 02-12-2016, 12:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Golden

The dogs love going along for the ride! My Golden jumps at the opportunity. No pun intended. Ok, maybe a little. I either fold the seat up or take it out for him and he has a ton of room to hang out. Even better with the soft top when I can take the windows off or at least the back window. I also agree that the hitch rack from Harbor Freight was a fantastic investment that I am happy I made. I'll be using it again this weekend and I have a full roof rack!! Sometimes it's just nice to have luggage tucked in back there out of the slipstream so to speak and not up top.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3480.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	659.3 KB
ID:	637444
Old 02-16-2016, 06:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
metal crates are available that fold to only a few inches thick. You could get a $50 cargo carrier for your hitch from harbor freight. Back when I had a 2door, I just had my Rottweiler sit on the seat. Didn't worry about confining in any way.
great idea... going to pick one up .. give me the extra space required.
Old 02-20-2016, 01:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Idea

Great suggestions

Quick Reply: German Shepard and Jeep