Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Getting ready for winter

Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting ready for winter

What do you guys do to get ready for winter
I'm thinking about undercoat but what should I use and what else should I do
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I'll throw on a coat...I love winters in the south!
Old 11-01-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by afpilot82
I guess I'll throw on a coat...I love winters in the south!
I meant what do u do to your jk to get ready for winter
Old 11-01-2012, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by big c
I meant what do u do to your jk to get ready for winter
Check the antifreeze ( radiator and windshield ). Might do the washer fluid mod this year.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure you check on your battery!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on how involved you want to get, undercoating is good, but paint would be better. The undercarriage and engine are very accessible in our Jeeps. A day spent with a wire brush and some Rustoleum will do wonders in preventing or addressing existing rust. The entire exhaust can be painted with high-temp engine enamel. If you’ve ever crawled under your Jeep, it will become immediately apparent what needs paint.

Once the paint dries, I would then follow up with a rust preventative to get into all the nooks & crannies and frame rails. There’s a web site called the The Rust Store that has various products with detailed descriptions. Here in Colorado it’s pretty dry so I went with Boeshield T-9 which is a paraffin based wax, but being as you’re in the rust belt, I’d probably use something like Fluid Film.

Boeshield however has been excellent on and around the engine as you don’t have to worry about it damaging rubber, plastic, aluminum, ect. It also seals electrical connections including battery terminals. I even sprayed it on all my hinges were they attach to the body as it does have creeping characteristics.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Incognito
Depending on how involved you want to get, undercoating is good, but paint would be better. The undercarriage and engine are very accessible in our Jeeps. A day spent with a wire brush and some Rustoleum will do wonders in preventing or addressing existing rust. The entire exhaust can be painted with high-temp engine enamel. If you've ever crawled under your Jeep, it will become immediately apparent what needs paint.

Once the paint dries, I would then follow up with a rust preventative to get into all the nooks & crannies and frame rails. There's a web site called the The Rust Store that has various products with detailed descriptions. Here in Colorado it's pretty dry so I went with Boeshield T-9 which is a paraffin based wax, but being as you're in the rust belt, I'd probably use something like Fluid Film.

Boeshield however has been excellent on and around the engine as you don't have to worry about it damaging rubber, plastic, aluminum, ect. It also seals electrical connections including battery terminals. I even sprayed it on all my hinges were they attach to the body as it does have creeping characteristics.
I have gotten under the jeep and have been doing spot treatment with flat black paint and a wire wheel. I'm wondering A anything I shouldn't paint. B I have herd that truck bed liner works really well should I use that to pain ...Either way i was thinking paint the whole thing then I herd about used oil and brush it on and will help for winter and was thinking about trying that Also I have painted the exhaust already.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bed liner is a bit too thick, imo. I'm sure it'll work but remember that any bolts or screws you put that stuff on will have to be cleaned off before you can remove them. Bed liner is popular because it is durable and for its gritty texture, but personally I wouldn’t want to paint my undercarriage with it. It would probably promote adhesion on contaminants rather than repel them. As for the used oil, I'm sure that'll work great as long as you don't mind doing it although obviously it's not the most environmentally best option.

Here's a couple of pics of when I painted mine. This is just Rustoleum followed by Boeshield:

This is what it looks like now. It's dirty but rust free.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Incognito
Bed liner is a bit too thick, imo. I'm sure it'll work but remember that any bolts or screws you put that stuff on will have to be cleaned off before you can remove them. Bed liner is popular because it is durable and for its gritty texture, but personally I wouldn’t want to paint my undercarriage with it. It would probably promote adhesion on contaminants rather than repel them. As for the used oil, I'm sure that'll work great as long as you don't mind doing it although obviously it's not the most environmentally best option.

Here's a couple of pics of when I painted mine. This is just Rustoleum followed by Boeshield:

This is what it looks like now. It's dirty but rust free.
Now how did you do this ...did you tape anything off , scuff up anything or did you just clean with a degreaser and paint everything. also anything you shouldn't/cant paint? what is boeshield?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Depending on how bad the rust is already, it will determine how you need to attack it. On mine it was relatively new so there wasn't much rust present. A wire brush and a pint sized can of Rustoleum is all it needed. No need to scuff up anything or mask anything off. Spray paint was nice to get to some hard to reach areas, and in doing the driveshafts. The only thing you shouldn't paint down there are the disk brakes, everything else is fair game.

Last edited by Incognito; 11-03-2012 at 05:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for winter