Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Ghost Headlights

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ghost Headlights

I have a strange problem. My JK's headlights come on for no reason, and stay on. I imagine there's a short somewhere, but I don't know where. Anyone else having this problem?
Old 11-20-2007, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

That's strange. I've never had them come on, but If if turn the ignition off while they are on, they stay on, even if I turn them off, so I have to turn them off and on twice to get them off...

I'd take it in to a dealer and let them check it out, I don't like messing with any electrical work.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by ThinkMud
That's strange. I've never had them come on, but If if turn the ignition off while they are on, they stay on, even if I turn them off, so I have to turn them off and on twice to get them off...
If you turn your lights off after the ignition is off the lights will go off after 20 or 30 seconds. You don't have to turn them on and off again, unless you just want to.

Originally Posted by Swampmonster
I have a strange problem. My JK's headlights come on for no reason, and stay on. I imagine there's a short somewhere, but I don't know where. Anyone else having this problem?
I have not heard of anyone else with this problem.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, they just came on this afternoon while I was working in the yeard. Thery've done that a couple of other times. Too weird.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Were the keys in you pocket? could you have hit the unlock button by accident? i have done it on mine a few times.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Robar
If you turn your lights off after the ignition is off the lights will go off after 20 or 30 seconds. You don't have to turn them on and off again, unless you just want to.
I never knew that, thanks. I've had to get back in a few times to turn them back off, now I know I don't have to.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:31 PM
JK Super Freak

I've had a bunch of people yell at me across the parking lot to tell me I left my lights on when I get out of my Jeep. I appreciate the gesture, but it's getting old. I wish I could remember to turn them off before I turn the car off, or to double click the lights before I get out. I actually wish I could turn that whole "feature" off.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

maybe if you start you car with the lights already on, turn it off, honk the horn 3 times, then turn the lights back on, then off, A, B, A, B, select, start, it will turn it off?

haha, if you don't know, that is a joke based off the stupid seat belt chime, you actually do some crazy series of putting the seat belt in and out of the clip a few times then turn ignition to Accl and off or something weird, there is a write up on it somewhere... i did it over a year ago, so i don't remember...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default better get it checked

Originally Posted by Swampmonster
if your lights are turning on for no reason while your working in your yard, i'd park my jeep in my least favorite neighbors driveway, or atleast not close to my house.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think it may be a button push (in the pocket issue). When you unlock, they go on. There are alot of little quirks that make them go on....check your manual. The dealer can hook up the computer and turn on or off alot of those things. I had my horn turned off when you lock it and also unlock all the doors when you press te button instead of pushing it twice.

Quick Reply: Ghost Headlights