Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Gobi Rack Preparation

Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gobi Rack Preparation

I recently ordered a Gobi Ranger rack for my recently purchased JKU. After doing some research I have seen a couple instances where people ran into issues with the sway supports for the rack bending the corner panels at the rear of the Jeep. That said, what do you guys think of these. Warrior Products 920A - Warrior Products Rear Corners with Holes for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 05-04-2013, 12:11 AM
JK Newbie

Thats weird Ive never heard that before, Ive done light rock crawling and trailing with mine, and it never bent or anything. It comes with little stick on reinforcments. Do you mean they bend the panels when people smash into things with the rack? That I could see, other than that, they wont bend anything as far as Ive seen.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ruiner85
Thats weird Ive never heard that before, Ive done light rock crawling and trailing with mine, and it never bent or anything. It comes with little stick on reinforcments. Do you mean they bend the panels when people smash into things with the rack? That I could see, other than that, they wont bend anything as far as Ive seen.
The pictures I saw were captioned with the presumed owner claiming it was caused just by sway. It did not look like he had the reinforcement pads in place and I have no idea how heavily loaded his rack was at the time. I will most likely only be hauling a heavy load when driving on sand.. taking the kayaks + camping gear to the beach. If I could tell upfront whether or not the black diamond plate color would match the black paint of the Freedom Edition I would be inclined to buy it just to have it..
Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a Gobi for about a year, wheeled it many times. No problems with the rear tub. I did use the plastic corners that Gobi supplied. The location where that rear support touches the tub is near a corner, it's a fairly strong location.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Alright.. I'm somewhat inclined to think I'd be alright given your guys' feedback and the fact that any heavy hauling I do will only be on the beach. Out of curiosity why did you drop the Gobi? I bought mine kind of on the spur of the moment b/c I had to have something to replace the yakima setup I had on my WJ. Speaking of, if anyone wants a Yakima Mega Warrior, 58" bars, & the universal rail adapters; mine is/will be for sale.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jester86
Alright.. I'm somewhat inclined to think I'd be alright given your guys' feedback and the fact that any heavy hauling I do will only be on the beach. Out of curiosity why did you drop the Gobi? I bought mine kind of on the spur of the moment b/c I had to have something to replace the yakima setup I had on my WJ. Speaking of, if anyone wants a Yakima Mega Warrior, 58" bars, & the universal rail adapters; mine is/will be for sale.
The guy I bought my JK from had it on and included it with the sale. I loved it. The only reason I sold it was because when I went to 37's, it wouldn't fit in my garage.

Quick Reply: Gobi Rack Preparation