Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

got stuck reel good in deep watery hole engine whine after pulled out!!!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default got stuck reel good in deep watery hole engine whine after pulled out!!!

Well i got stuck yesterday really good wich was not intentional slid off a track from previous people and got back end stuck in 3.5'' of water had gotten pulled out but i did hit some fairly high water as i got the front end up on the bank.After i got out i noticed a whine noise almost sounds like front the asessory belt drive one of the pullys right before that when i had it pinned i got some burnt rubber smell wasnt tire related i was pinned in place .I got an apointment with the dealership tomorrow to see what it is.my air filter was fairly wet but i changed that today when i changed my oil.
Another thing when i turn the motor off i get what seems like almost a back fire likeshot of air like a fart lol u could say or airleak the jeep drives fine just got me worried...
Old 10-03-2012, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

It's not uncommon for one of the pulleys in the belt drive to fail when exposed to water. Especially muddy water. I have had and know many others that have replaced the tensioner pulley for what you are describing. Almost sounds like a turbo whine. For me, it started as a very low whine theyn just kept getting worse.

Hopefully that's all it is for you. If so, you can pick up a pulley from an auto store for under $20 and install it yourself. I believe it was one or 2 bolts and you do need to remove the serpentine belt...at least off whatever pulley you need to replace. Took me about 10 minutes to swap out.

If its not a pulley, then I am not sure what it could be.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2

I have 2,700 miles on my Rubi and I went through deep muddy water around 1,800 miles. My serpentine belt went and they replaced 3 pulleys under warranty.

Mine did the same; I could hear it squeal at start up then it would go quiet until it totally froze up.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just dropped mine off at the dealer an hour ago for the exact same thing. Went through a deep mud hole a little over a month ago, and immediatly got that whine. I tried the "ignore it and maybe it'll go away", but it's just gotten worse as time goes by. From what I've read, it's exactly what everyone said, the belt tensioner bearings going bad. Should(better) be covered under warranty. I'll try to post my results tomorrow after I hear from the dealer.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dcharge74
Just dropped mine off at the dealer an hour ago for the exact same thing. Went through a deep mud hole a little over a month ago, and immediatly got that whine. I tried the "ignore it and maybe it'll go away", but it's just gotten worse as time goes by. From what I've read, it's exactly what everyone said, the belt tensioner bearings going bad. Should(better) be covered under warranty. I'll try to post my results tomorrow after I hear from the dealer.
yea same here i got an apointment at the stealership early in the morning.Was talking to my old man about it he said if your gonna go plying in that crap he said lol put some wd40 on your pullies ect before you go never herd that one before...
Old 10-04-2012, 06:37 AM
JK Super Freak

It was the tensioner bearings. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be paying for this one. Apparently it's not considered part of the powertrain and my bumper-to-bumper was over in May.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine were covered under warranty but I had to wait a week + until they came in. They were back ordered 'cause too many mud holes.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mschneid
Mine were covered under warranty but I had to wait a week + until they came in. They were back ordered 'cause too many mud holes.
LOl thats so funny i just called the stealership were i live in gp alberta canada and the service rep said the same thing the iddler pulleys are on back order he said another jeep just came in for the same thing after me he said..He said must be a defect ....nothing was said on my behalf lol
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM
JK Super Freak

My dealer has one coming in for me tomorrow. Maybe I should keep the service paperwork in case there's a recall down the line. Seems like there's a lot of this going on lately.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

We get that all the time down here in the lowcountry... so, with the engine running, I hit the backsides of the pulleys with a garden hose for a few seconds. No more whine.
I think sand and dirt gets lodged in the bearings and the water jet dislodges it.
This works for me.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: got stuck reel good in deep watery hole engine whine after pulled out!!!