Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hardtop hoist

Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardtop hoist

Looking into getting one and would like to know from you guys and gals, what I should get? My main issue, obviously, is that I don't want my hardtop to come crashing down.

So, what say you??

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

I followed this thread and built my own. Four years later, I still use it and it's great:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...write-up-5559/

Good luck, and enjoy...
Old 10-06-2012, 09:05 PM
JK Junkie

I purchased a Racor lift that is rated to handle up to 250 lbs. You can use a drill and the provided attachment to easily lift and lower the HardTop. I added pool noodles and straps that allows me to attach the HardTop to...

Old 10-07-2012, 12:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Very nice, Aldaman!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Default Racor Lift

I second the Racor lift. I keep the freedom panels up there but also store the soft to windows on top when I have those pulled off. If you search this rack, you'll find some install tips we learned along the way. It's not too bad but as I recall, the spacing between the arms is touchy.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 AM
JK Newbie

I made my own hoist by using I bolts and ratchet straps. It works perfectly. I showed a friend and he is using it now. It cost less than $50.00.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Evattatc
I made my own hoist by using I bolts and ratchet straps. It works perfectly. I showed a friend and he is using it now. It cost less than $50.00.
Good to know. I just bought a chain hoist and racheting straps to do the same thing just haven't had the time to assemble it yet. Spent less than $75 for everything at Harbor Freight. Good to know it works. Great minds thinking alike...
Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by scott franklin
Good to know. I just bought a chain hoist and racheting straps to do the same thing just haven't had the time to assemble it yet. Spent less than $75 for everything at Harbor Freight. Good to know it works. Great minds thinking alike...
I used rachet straps before I purchased a Lane Hard Top hoist.

The thing about ratchet straps to keep in mind that no one seems to tell you, is that they work great for lifting the top up, but the ratchets only go in a one way direction. So while they're cheap and do a great job lifting the top up, when it's time to set that top back down, it can be a bit challenging by yourself. Especially if you lifted the top up quite a bit. Usually you need 3 or 4 ratchet straps which are located at different sections of your roof. Now try to imagine how you're going to lower each one back down onto your JK. If you have a couple people doing it together it's not so bad, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of having a hoist.

At least that was my personal experience when using ratchet straps.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I used rachet straps before I purchased a Lane Hard Top hoist.

The thing about ratchet straps to keep in mind that no one seems to tell you, is that they work great for lifting the top up, but the ratchets only go in a one way direction. So while they're cheap and do a great job lifting the top up, when it's time to set that top back down, it can be a bit challenging by yourself. Especially if you lifted the top up quite a bit. Usually you need 3 or 4 ratchet straps which are located at different sections of your roof. Now try to imagine how you're going to lower each one back down onto your JK. If you have a couple people doing it together it's not so bad, but then that kind of defeats the purpose of having a hoist.

At least that was my personal experience when using ratchet straps.
Something I didn't think about. Good to know, thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:28 AM
JK Newbie

I got the Harken hoist in the Spring. So far, no issues. I hope I don't need to use it to lower the top for another month plus.

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist