Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hardtop to soft top

Old 09-10-2016, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hardtop to soft top

Need help on what I need to by to purchase soft top for my JK. Came with hard top and I see posts saying with frame, without frame etc. anyone tell me what needs to be bought to m changeover. Any ideas on approx cost?

Thanks
Old 09-10-2016, 02:57 PM
GJK
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you will need the frame, mounting brackets on the b pillars, fasteners, soft-top (with header ), door surrounds if not already installed and the rear tailgate bar. Your best option is trying to find someone selling the entire package, otherwise it's very expensive
Old 09-10-2016, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are also frameless soft tops like the Trektop NX for example.

If you want a factory style soft top you would need the frame, door surrounds, tailgate bar and misc hardware.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

So the key is finding someone with everything for sale. The reason is, and anyone is welcome to correct me on this, that not all pieces are compatible with all years. So I have, for example, a 2010 top with all the pieces that I put on my 14 Rubicon. But I have heard (never seen) that you might have a problem trying to mate a 2014 top to 2009 door surrounds for example. If you get all the parts from the same year you should be in good shape.

To put the soft top on my 14 Rubicon which came with a hard top only, I had to buy the B pillar brackets that the top frame connects to. Once on it fit fine, folded down fine and latched up just fine.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pylot7
So the key is finding someone with everything for sale. The reason is, and anyone is welcome to correct me on this, that not all pieces are compatible with all years. So I have, for example, a 2010 top with all the pieces that I put on my 14 Rubicon. But I have heard (never seen) that you might have a problem trying to mate a 2014 top to 2009 door surrounds for example. If you get all the parts from the same year you should be in good shape.

To put the soft top on my 14 Rubicon which came with a hard top only, I had to buy the B pillar brackets that the top frame connects to. Once on it fit fine, folded down fine and latched up just fine.
What the others have said, buy a used package from somebody with everything, or buy an aftermarket kit from someone like Trektop or Bestop.
I think the major difference in years is the switch from 2009 to 2010. The front windshield footman loop was moved a few inches. Get a top appropriate for your yer.

I bought a used soft top ($275) a few months after getting my Rubicon. I switched back and forth over the last few years and finally got tired of storing the hard top and sold it. I run the soft top only. It is slightly noisier, but the heater and a/c keep the cab comfortable just like the hard top.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks all for the info. Think I can make an educated decision now.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

The Trektop NX is a great option. Bought mine off a member on another forum for $350. Great deal for an awesome top.
Old 09-15-2016, 12:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pylot7
So the key is finding someone with everything for sale. The reason is, and anyone is welcome to correct me on this, that not all pieces are compatible with all years. So I have, for example, a 2010 top with all the pieces that I put on my 14 Rubicon. But I have heard (never seen) that you might have a problem trying to mate a 2014 top to 2009 door surrounds for example. If you get all the parts from the same year you should be in good shape. To put the soft top on my 14 Rubicon which came with a hard top only, I had to buy the B pillar brackets that the top frame connects to. Once on it fit fine, folded down fine and latched up just fine.

The roll bar brackets are different for the 2014. You will end up having to buy them and they are 30 a piece

Quick Reply: Hardtop to soft top