Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Which head unit and back up camera?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which head unit and back up camera?

I have the Jeep 130 and need to have a camera.

Do I buy a new head unit with DVD and/or GPS and add a camera?

Do I just buy a rear camera and add another unit hanging somewhere to see in reverse?

I would like to have as large a screen as possible and GPS and DVD's aren't needed, but if the unit has it as a good price, okay.

I am thinking a new head unit with a camera and all of the steering wheel controls, bluetooth, UConnect, etc. will still work.

What do you all have and like and I'm not trying to spend a lot of money here?
Old 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
I have the Jeep 130 and need to have a camera. Do I buy a new head unit with DVD and/or GPS and add a camera? Do I just buy a rear camera and add another unit hanging somewhere to see in reverse? I would like to have as large a screen as possible and GPS and DVD's aren't needed, but if the unit has it as a good price, okay. I am thinking a new head unit with a camera and all of the steering wheel controls, bluetooth, UConnect, etc. will still work. What do you all have and like and I'm not trying to spend a lot of money here?
I have done quite a bit of research. Narrowed it down to pioneer Avhx2700bs or avhx4700bs

Major difference between them is 4700 has bigger screen. Both will work with back-up camera There are modules that are designed to interface the stereo with the steering wheel controls Both Have bluetooth and are Sirius compatible (you need a separate $50 tuner

You can go to crutchfield and get the unit and install components for the 2700 for 450-500 (not including camera).

Or if you want to go gray market and buy everything on Amazon and save $75-80. With gray market, pioneer's website says the don't honor warranty

Camera depends where you want to place... On license plate, on tire carrier, or in bumper are all places I have seen as I have researched. Cameras seem to run from $50 to $150
Old 01-25-2015, 02:05 AM
JK Freak

What about using one of the 430's that people seem to not like, don't know what model that is, and use it for the radio and camera?

Don't need GPS.

Might find one cheap?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DadsCJ
What about using one of the 430's that people seem to not like, don't know what model that is, and use it for the radio and camera? Don't need GPS. Might find one cheap?
430 is the upgraded Jeep head unit. That would work certainly work. I don't think it is a nice, but if you got one cheap it would do the job. As I understand, you will have to have a dealer unlock it to turn on the back-up cam function. Not sure, but my guess is they will charge for this since the unit did not come with the Jeep
Old 01-25-2015, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by WHT_JKUR
430 is the upgraded Jeep head unit. That would work certainly work. I don't think it is a nice, but if you got one cheap it would do the job. As I understand, you will have to have a dealer unlock it to turn on the back-up cam function. Not sure, but my guess is they will charge for this since the unit did not come with the Jeep
my stealership charged $95 to unlock. To the OP, I'll sell you my 430n as I would like to get a pioneer w/ CarPlay. Buy a $30 camera on Amazon like me (comes w/ all the wires and even what u need to drill the hole) = problem solved

Quick Reply: Which head unit and back up camera?