Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

HELP! Locked key in Jeep!

Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Locked key in Jeep!

I have only one key for the Jeep and it is locked inside of it. The hard top is on and the freedom panels are secured. How can I get into the Jeep? My wife drives this as her dd so I need in it by tomorrow morning. Any ideas??? Is a locksmith my only option?
Old 11-04-2012, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Unscrew the two bolts for the front drivers side door as if you were taking the door off, then reach in and press the unlock button on the door. Easier with two people. No garauntee this works, but I've seen people do it before. I'm not sure if it results in any damage, do it at your own risk. Shoulda bought a soft top, Haha, just kidding. Good luck!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

Use a wooden door stop, screwdriver with a rag or something similar and wedge it between the top of the door frame and the B pillar. It shouldn't take much effort to open a gap enough for a bent coat hanger. With some fidgeting, you can grab the little lock lever and pull it backwards to unlock. This has worked on every vehicle I've tried it on. Apparently I associate with people who lock their keys in their vehicles.... Aaaand maybe I've done it once or trice myself...
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

BRICK ---> WINDOW!! Had to do it, Just Kidding.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

This was easier than I thought. I called a police buddy to come over and he helped me get in in less than 2 minutes.

Step 1, pry door slightly.

Step 2, blow up inflatable to allow working room. If you don't have one of these, have a buddy hold whatever you are using to pry the door open with in step one to give you both hands for the next step.

Step 3, reach in with hanger or something and pull the door handle open.

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the wedges. It works really well if you have two. Slide one in on the top of the door towards the back, and the other one on the side of the door towards the top. This will give you a big enough gap for a metal hangar to get down there and unlock the door. I would recommend putting a rag or cloth of some sort where you're fishing around with the hangar though. You can scratch the paint on the inside if you're not careful. I used to have manual locks and locked my keys in my car a handful of times. Got pretty good at this technique. Good Luck.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not a big fan of the air bags. I had a durango that had this done and the top of the door was bent. It had bad wind noise and leaked a little water. I had a buddy help me bend the top of the door back in. It helped but was never perfect again. I usually just use the old hanger trick without wedging it open. Have done it many times without damage to the weather stripping and paint. Good job though.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

On a side note, I had an un-chipped copy of my key made and I used black tape to tape it to the frame. It won't run your vehicle but it will unlock your door. Just in case I lock mine in.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

SOFT TOP FTW

(only real benefit to having a softop lol)

good luck unlocking
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

We just took the soft top off about a month ago... bummer, would have made this easier.

Quick Reply: HELP! Locked key in Jeep!