Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

HELP! Locked key in Jeep!

Old 11-04-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now, go have a spare key made and put it in the magnetic key holder that your going to buy to stick on your undercarrage. I've used a magnetic keyholder on every vehicle I have ever owned. I locked myself out of my first truck at 15 years old and said it would never happen again. I'm now 43 and so far so good.
Old 11-04-2012, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmontgomery
Now, go have a spare key made and put it in the magnetic key holder that your going to buy to stick on your undercarrage. I've used a magnetic keyholder on every vehicle I have ever owned. I locked myself out of my first truck at 15 years old and said it would never happen again. I'm now 43 and so far so good.
Where do you put the magnetic holder, and what's your address...?
Just kidding... Very good idea, I will do this on mine for sure!
Old 11-04-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Though very helpful is it really a good idea to post pictures of how to break into a jeep????
Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 PM
JK Junkie

Better yet put his a key under hood somewhere

Matthew
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Blood pressure cuff works great if you lock the keys in an ambulance...just sayin...
Old 11-05-2012, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aharper
I have only one key for the Jeep and it is locked inside of it. The hard top is on and the freedom panels are secured. How can I get into the Jeep? My wife drives this as her dd so I need in it by tomorrow morning. Any ideas??? Is a locksmith my only option?
Can't help you with breaking into the Jeep but......

You really should get a couple of spare keys. If you only have one key, you will need to get a second key and get it cut and programmed at a locksmith or dealer.

Once you have two working transponder chip keys, you can purchase additional uncut transponder keys and program them yourself per instructions in your owner's manual. Very easy to do, and you can self-program up to 8 additional keys.

Also, I have heard of some "issues" with the imported chip keys.

This place has good quality, inexpensive transponder chip keys that are made in the USA here:

Transponder Chip Ignition Keys for Jeeps on Sale!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enough telling someone that they need to get a extra key made. If they locked there keys in the jeep the last thing they want to hear is how to get a copy made. Im pretty sure everyone knows that already. It takes locking yourself out once and Im sure that will be the first thing they do once they are in.
Now hear is how you get in without any damage,
The back window has two hinges on the top. Remove the plastic cover, from the bottom of the plastic cover.it will fold up . Then 10mm socket take the two bolts off each side. remove the two hydraulic struts with one bolt on each side and your in. If you have a small kid around you wont even have to take the struts off he will be able to fit with it tilted out with the struts in place.
The following users liked this post:
jkormond (12-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ruubdood
Enough telling someone that they need to get a extra key made. If they locked there keys in the jeep the last thing they want to hear is how to get a copy made. Im pretty sure everyone knows that already. It takes locking yourself out once and Im sure that will be the first thing they do once they are in.
Now hear is how you get in without any damage,
The back window has two hinges on the top. Remove the plastic cover, from the bottom of the plastic cover.it will fold up . Then 10mm socket take the two bolts off each side. remove the two hydraulic struts with one bolt on each side and your in. If you have a small kid around you wont even have to take the struts off he will be able to fit with it tilted out with the struts in place.
What a bump! I would hope he got his key by now
Old 04-23-2015, 03:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MDRoots
What a bump! I would hope he got his key by now
HAHAHA. No one looks at the date or year when searching.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:29 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if him and his wife are still married seeing how the solution through the rear window wasn't posted until a couple of years later...

Quick Reply: HELP! Locked key in Jeep!