Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hoodie

Old 10-08-2012, 05:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoodie

If this has been posted before I apologize or if this is in the wrong place. I am a long time jeep owner in the past owned several older models. Most of them I never traveled over 75mph so never had this issue. I decided to purchase a 4 door jeep, stock and work on it a little at a time. First thing I did was find the forums and got plenty of great ideals, I use to think I was a jeep addict since I have owned 8 and my first vehicle I bought was a 69 Jeep willies pick up.

Anyway, the problem... I took of what I call the sissy skirt, or wind skirt. It looked stupid to me, and useless. I find on high wind days and highway speeds... 75-80 hood wants to jump up. So my thoughts, which I think is logical, vents in hood to release air flow coming from under vehicle. No I dont want to put sissy skirt back on, it just is so cheap looking and I think or feel like Im driving a mini van now until I get the mods done.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts....
Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very common problem. Take the spring off from the hood latch and your problem will be solved. Mine never did it again after I removed it.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default hood flutter

Don't be cheap and take off the spring , just order some Daystar hood latches and be done with it. They are cheap , easy to install , and just work .
Old 10-08-2012, 08:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If the plastic air dam makes you feel so bad about your Jeep, install a steel skid plate in it's place.
It will serve the same purpose as the air dam, plus it will protect some of the steering components.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

Default Cheap

I like the metal skids and will eventually get one. I also have been looking over the new latches.

Thanks all, and yes that plastic wind skirt does look cheap. I just dont get why they do things like that.

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If the plastic air dam makes you feel so bad about your Jeep, install a steel skid plate in it's place.
It will serve the same purpose as the air dam, plus it will protect some of the steering components.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:39 AM
Vin
JK Enthusiast

You can add some zipties to the OE latches as a quick fix.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Originally Posted by dahreno
Don't be cheap and take off the spring , just order some Daystar hood latches and be done with it. They are cheap , easy to install , and just work .
Don't be cheap and order Daystar hood latches...spend some real money and go with Drake Off Road hood hold downs.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biggy
Very common problem. Take the spring off from the hood latch and your problem will be solved. Mine never did it again after I removed it.
Yep it takes 30 seconds and its free.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes the stock air dam has to go, but I personally think the aerodynamics of the JK (yes I know it's a box) are affected a lot when the air dam is off. I replaced my air dam w/ a steel front skid and then added steel to it so it fills up almost the whole area the stock air dam did, then added the daystar latches and a hood louver; the hood stays put plus the aero of my Jeep is about as good as stock. To me an air dam of some sort really matters on the highway; in strong cross winds my Jeep w/ no air dam at all was tossed around much more than with the air dam, or with the full front skid I have now.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dahreno
Has nothing to do with being cheap. It works and works well.

Quick Reply: Hoodie