Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hopefully coming back!

Old 05-25-2016, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hopefully coming back!

Wow just being back on the forum feels good again! I had an 07 JK which was my baby, absolutely loved it! And then family life took over - we had our first daughter, which the Jeep outlasted for a while- but between the lift, tires, pretty beat up soft top etc, we decided it was time to get a more family friendly alternative. Huge mistake. I've missed my Jeep since the day I drove off the lot with its replacement, and have been just waiting to go back. Well 2 children later, I'm now a dad of 3 and ready to jump back into the Jeep world. My biggest initial question is how many of you guys these days are rocking 3 car seats across the back? I have a 5 year old in a booster, a 3 year old in a harness booster and an 8 month old in an infant seat. Will I be ok in the back of an Unlimited?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike
Old 05-25-2016, 08:44 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm not sure about your answer, but I'm sure a dealership would allow you to try your seats in the back of the jeep. That's the direction I would go.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:56 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With some of the crap that's apparently been going on with rear end collisions causing the front seats to collapse backwards and causing deaths and/or heavy injuries to the kids sitting behind those seats, a lifted Jeep might actually be your best option.

I don't care too much for mainstream media but I caught this vid on the news this morning as I was sitting in the lobby of the Jeep dealership to get some warranty work done.

Older model Audi's, Honda Odyssey, and Dodge Caravan had failures for example.

Something you might want to check out especially since you've got 3 little ones in the back to consider....

Auto safety experts demand NHTSA action on seatback failures - CBS News

NHTSA requirements for car crash tests inadequate for testing fatalities from car seats - CBS News

If anything, you can always tell the misses that hey, a lifted JK with beefy bumpers may actually be the safest option.

The fact that you're asking this question and that I just happened to see a news clip/video at the Jeep dealership lobby that deals with kids in the back didn't happen by chance IMO. Everything in life happens for a reason. Use this for what it's worth lol.

Last edited by DJ1; 05-25-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies! Trading in the old Jeep was never a question of safety, the fact it was lifted and had steel bumpers etc made it feel like we were in a tank, simply a matter of comfort. The wife is 100% on board with getting another Wrangler, although she does want a hard top this time around lol. I'm more concerned with the width and whether or not 3 seats will actually fit. Definitely planning to try at the dealership too before we do anything, but going to save myself the hour drive if there is no way 3 seats will fit across the back seat.

Thanks again!
Old 05-25-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should fit man. It will be tight but the boosters aren't that big. Baby seat in middle booster on both sides. I've had baby seat in middle and 2 adults. If that can fit then what you have will fit. Lol.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks - that's what I'm thinking. I had one in there back in the day and had plenty of space so thinking the rest of them should fit even if it's a squeeze. Going to check out a 2016 Unlimited (the Willys Wheeler trim) in Rhino tomorrow. Hard top, tow package, and auto trans. Hopefully I'll be driving it home tomorrow.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

I have a two year old in a car seat and a 9 year old in a booster and my wife or my 12 year old fit back there just fine!
Old 05-25-2016, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks that's encouraging. I think the wife wants it as bad as I do so that helps things haha. She already has us taking the top off and heading to the beach for our anniversary on Saturday lol.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am back! Seats are a tight fit, but it works. 2016 Wrangler Unlimited Willys Wheeler W in Rhino - hard top, tow package and auto trans. Stoked to get the top off today and go for a drive! Thank you all for the help!
Old 05-27-2016, 05:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can also get a 3rd row bench seat for more passengers if needed, now that you have a Jeepful of family. Mine works great and it is removable.

Quick Reply: Hopefully coming back!