Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Hot oil

Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot oil

Hello, everyone. Thank you for reading my post. Just yesterday I was driving in the mountains on rough terrain when I got the message "Hot Oil." My 2007 Jeep is automatic and when this happened I was in 2nd gear.

I've done some research and learned of the recall a few years ago. I am still confused though what I should do. I just purchased this Jeep from my local Chrysler, about 3 weeks ago, and purchased a fee year warranty. I'm very concerned about future rides in the mountains.

Should I raise some hell?

Thank you!
Old 07-27-2013, 08:13 AM
JK Junkie

You should get a trans cooler and install it. Continually running with the hot oil light will destroy your transmission.

Sent from my Droid4 and Jkfreaks.com
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls
You should get a trans cooler and install it. Continually running with the hot oil light will destroy your transmission.

Will it void my warranty?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know about the warranty, but can confirm what karls said.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:31 AM
JK Junkie

It *shouldn't* since word on the street is that all 12+'s come with a cooler. I would certainly take it to the dealer and make sure you do some searching online for TSB's and recalls related to the hot oil message.

Regardless of they say if the cooler will/ will not void your warranty- you're left with two options.

Option 1: have the dealer tell you it's ok but pull over when the light comes on again, eventually blow the tranny, and then wait a week for them to replace the tranny.

Option 2: install/ have one installed and be confident knowing that you've done all you can to prolong the life of your transmission.

As far as the warranty......adding a cooler would ONLY void the tranny warranty if it voids anything. Your diffs, driveshafts, engine, etc are all still covered. They've got to prove that the tranny cooler caused the failure.

What I would do- take it to them, have them do the recommended service, take it home, install your cooler, check/ add fluid.....then just enjoy not worrying about your transmission any more. That way you're covered all around.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Were you in 2WD or 4WD?
If 4WD, were you in 4HI or 4 LOW? I've heard of others having that issue off road but never when in 4Low.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 PM
JK Super Freak

You should be in 4WD Lo range when doing mtns and Moab stuff and the hot tranny light will stay off at least it did for me.
I stopped using 4WD hi range for most my harder terrain, and hi altitude terrian due to hot oil lights.

Last edited by JK-jeepit; 07-27-2013 at 10:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Hot oil