Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How to keep wife from driving my jeep

Old 10-31-2014, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad the gf has her own jeep but we each drive eachothers all the time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3219159422.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	582409  
Old 11-01-2014, 12:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeep.... wife.... jeep.. wife...

Jeep...

No wife here.. and a Jeep with a Stick that none of my friends will drive

-Christopher
Old 11-01-2014, 01:30 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdw293
OK so with a little back story I want your opinions. I have a work vehicle that I drive during the week so my 3 month old JKUR sits in the garage during the week and I drive it on weekends. Well my wife keeps driving my jeep when I'm at work instead of her Rav4 during the week. Then gets a attitude if I say something. Funny thing is I tried to get her to get a Sahara unlimited when she got the 2013 Rav4 and she wouldn't have it. I get irritated because when I see people out and about they think I'm driving her jeep. WTF no its mine. Oh and she refuses to wash or vacuum it out even though she uses it. I'm meticulous with my vehicles maybe even a little OCD and she just drives them she will only clean her car about twice a year where I clean mine 2-3 times a month. Clearly the answer would be to trade her Rav4 in on a jeep for her but its not financially gonna happen for awhile. A future 3.5" Lift and 35s will probably discourage her but I'm still saving for that. I recently put a winch on the front and she said it was tacky and I should take it off. I laughed . Any ideas to make it less appealing for her to drive. Please Help.
I can relate to where you're coming from. I'd be irritated too if my wife drove my vehicle more than I do while hers sits at home collecting dust and to top it all off I was stuck with the cleaning and vacuuming task at the end of the week cleaning after her. If I were you id be straight up about it and tell her how you feel. Also tell her that you want at least something you can call your own. I've had my JKU for about six months now and like you I take care of it. My wife has driven it only once and I told her I prefer that she drives her car. She understands. Good luck hope it works out for u.
Old 11-01-2014, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like you should have "let" her test drive a Rubi instead of a Sahara and you wouldn't be having this so called problem right now!
Old 11-02-2014, 07:42 PM
JK Freak

To be frank no woman is gonna just take my Jeep and drive as she pleases and not clean it out ontop of that. Not even my own woman. She will ask me to use it if she needs. Sometimes I will let her, sometimes I won't. I never allow a woman to establish that kind of control from the very beginning of a relationship. If they get it in the beginning, they don't want to let it go later. Then you have a problem throughout the relationship with the woman wearing the pants most of the time.

If it were me. I'd tell her she wanted her rav4. You wanted your jeep. Take the keys and tell her leave it alone. She'll likely start an argument over it but stand your ground. Don't give in. She'll have no choice but to do as you say. You're a man she's a woman. Ain't nothing she can do about it other than get over it or divorce you. If she loves you the least bit, she won't divorce you. So that only leaves one other option. End result. You win.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm Bill Cosby in this scenario
http://youtu.be/tuLKBorjwrk
Old 11-03-2014, 09:50 AM
JK Freak

Hahaha! Too funny! ^
Old 11-05-2014, 07:57 AM
JK Newbie

I can see your point but, letting her drive it should not be a big deal. we bought a 09, and the whole family loves it. My wife is on board with over 30k worth of stuff for it over the next 5 years. In addition she wants to get the Motech 6.2L swap when the 3.8 die's. So find your self and work her over to the idea of where and what you can go do with it. such as Rubicon Trail, MOAB, or Colorado. Even where you live for day trips, i believe this will bring my marriage a lot of fun and make us closer. It's up to you, Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

I knew you guys could be tough but dang. Y'all gonna have me signed up for the Dr. Phill show. Actually me and the wife have a great relationship I'm just stingy with my jeep. Also I would never sabotage it to keep her from driving it or hide the keys. I just simply wondered if any one else has had a similar problem and if so give any good advise on how to handle it.
Mine is tracking baddly. My wife wanted to drive mine but i just tell her i feel its unsafe to drive and couldnt live with my self if anything happened. Until its fixed. Why discourage her from driving it, she probally wants attention, my wife always says she thinks that i love my jeep more then her, jeep doesnt talk back. Lol encpurage her, just tell her that it bothers you that she wont clean up. Honesty is key!
Old 11-05-2014, 08:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Actually wrong. She hates when I do anything to a vehicle that's not factory. Like I said earlier I put a winch on the front and she was wanting me to take it off, I put a teraflex leveling kit on and she complained.Only thing I have done so far that she hasn't made a comment on is when I installed cb for trail riding. I'm sure there's tons of other married guys who are the same way about their vehicles( corvette owners,muscle car owners,classic cars in general that wouldn't let their wife drive their cars). I don't mind her driving it every now and then. Hell I let her drive it the day I brought it home. Just don't want her using it everyday as a DD running the miles up and giving me the stink eye when I say something about it.
Not married but I've got a 1968 mustang in show quality condition. It only goes out in the sunshine and only I drive it alone. I've had girlfriends and buddies love that car but nobody drives that thing without me. It was my first car and it took 4 years to restore completely. Everyone respected that about it. My jeep is the same way. But I drive a stick shift so most people can't drive it anyways but if my girlfriend wants to drive it, I'd let her every so often with me riding shotgun. My ex let me drive her stock 2012 JKS so why wouldn't I let her drive my 2008 lifted JKX? It's all based on trusting her to respect your wishes with your vehicle.

On a more realistic note, if she doesn't want to mod anything, why not break the "one car/jeep payment at a time" rule and buy her a sport? Even if its used and has some of the interior goodies she wants? The 3.8 isn't THAT bad. I deal with mine on a daily basis and it's never let me down yet. Just slide her in any jk with low miles and call it a day, it doesn't sound like she'll be abusing it anyways. I imagine the Rav4 would be a very nice down payment. If that still isn't an option, just take her wheeling and let her drive back or there! compromise with her. Don't start a war with your wife over a jeep, because she'll be around longer than your JKUR will. best of luck

Last edited by JK505; 11-05-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Quick Reply: How to keep wife from driving my jeep