Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How to keep wife from driving my jeep

Old 10-29-2014, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to keep wife from driving my jeep

OK so with a little back story I want your opinions. I have a work vehicle that I drive during the week so my 3 month old JKUR sits in the garage during the week and I drive it on weekends. Well my wife keeps driving my jeep when I'm at work instead of her Rav4 during the week. Then gets a attitude if I say something. Funny thing is I tried to get her to get a Sahara unlimited when she got the 2013 Rav4 and she wouldn't have it. I get irritated because when I see people out and about they think I'm driving her jeep. WTF no its mine. Oh and she refuses to wash or vacuum it out even though she uses it. I'm meticulous with my vehicles maybe even a little OCD and she just drives them she will only clean her car about twice a year where I clean mine 2-3 times a month. Clearly the answer would be to trade her Rav4 in on a jeep for her but its not financially gonna happen for awhile. A future 3.5" Lift and 35s will probably discourage her but I'm still saving for that. I recently put a winch on the front and she said it was tacky and I should take it off. I laughed . Any ideas to make it less appealing for her to drive. Please Help.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

The only option is to take the keys with you.

Not to be a jerk but if this is an actual issue.. Sounds like the issue is more than her driving the Jeep.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unhook the battery so it wont start she cant drive it then. Or install a kill switch somewhere in the jeep so it wont start.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just hide all the keys when you are gone. I know how you feel. My wife would take my jeep all the time when i was at work. What bothers me the most is she has a tendency to run into parked cars and tree that just come out of no where in her own vehicle. I don't mind scratches but I really feel she is going to wreck it bad and all my $$$$ and sweat will be for nothing. Not even a cool story to share with the wheeling club!

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first thought would be to loosen the track bar just enough to cause some death wobble. Once the Jeep scares the crap out of her, she will never drive it again. Make sure you complain about wobble before you actually do it so it's believable.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Its more of an annoyance than a issue. Just don't want to come off like too much of a Dick when I tell her hands off the jeep. Just can't wait to lift it and put roaring tires on it then she will leave it alone. Did have a thought of removing the drivers door during the week . She couldn't lift the dang thing to put it back on haha. She hates it with the top or doors off causes it messes her hair up.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LKWJeeper
The only option is to take the keys with you.

Not to be a jerk but if this is an actual issue.. Sounds like the issue is more than her driving the Jeep.
Yeah, interesting issue. Guess I don't quite get it. I try to encourage my wife to enjoy my Jeep whenever I'm not driving it.
Old 10-29-2014, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

My wifes not the best driver either so body damage is a concern as well. When I had my 2012 f150 crew cab she wouldn't drive it. It was lifted on 35's It made her nervous. Guess I'll have to break down and buy her a jeep. If I could swap the rav4 straight up it would be a no brainer but jeeps are alot more expensive and we limit ourselves to one vehicle payment at a time.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bdw293
OK so with a little back story I want your opinions. I have a work vehicle that I drive during the week so my 3 month old JKUR sits in the garage during the week and I drive it on weekends. Well my wife keeps driving my jeep when I'm at work instead of her Rav4 during the week. Then gets a attitude if I say something. Funny thing is I tried to get her to get a Sahara unlimited when she got the 2013 Rav4 and she wouldn't have it. I get irritated because when I see people out and about they think I'm driving her jeep. WTF no its mine. Oh and she refuses to wash or vacuum it out even though she uses it. I'm meticulous with my vehicles maybe even a little OCD and she just drives them she will only clean her car about twice a year where I clean mine 2-3 times a month. Clearly the answer would be to trade her Rav4 in on a jeep for her but its not financially gonna happen for awhile. A future 3.5" Lift and 35s will probably discourage her but I'm still saving for that. I recently put a winch on the front and she said it was tacky and I should take it off. I laughed . Any ideas to make it less appealing for her to drive. Please Help.
It's an honest discussion, one that you need to have. Sounds like she can't respect your enthusiasm for your Jeep and you wanting it to be "yours", and I think it's a little juvenile of you to be so controlling about her driving it, but I can also understand. In a marriage, you can share lots and lots of things, everything really, but there are some things that are more yours and some things that are more hers (even though they belong to both of you), and both of you should have mutual respect for when one person or the other kind of calls the shots on those things.

Taking the keys, disconnecting the battery--those are horrible things. You should be able to trust each other. It wouldn't so bad if she occasionally asked to drive it--you might even let her (even if it eats you inside, you do it because you love her). But there needs to be that respect/ that trust/ that "stewardship" of each other's stuff. It's what helps your marriage last the first 100,00 miles
Old 10-29-2014, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It can be made very simple. Marriage, love Jeeps and everything else...if you don't take care of my stuff and return it the way you found it then you can't take it anymore. Whatever it is. Same goes for you.

Quick Reply: How to keep wife from driving my jeep