Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

how many have stopped modding? thinking about 2016?

Old 02-04-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how many have stopped modding? thinking about 2016?

So how many of you have stopped modding because you're thinking about the 2016 Wrangler? I know I have, I never did anything really major to my 11' JKUR, but now I get those various Jeep parts catalogs in the mail and I start thinking;... it's now Feb. 2014, the next Wrangler could be out for 2016, when might we see it for sale? ...fall of 2015? That's only maybe 19 months away. No point in buying too much for my 11' when I'll probably be looking at the next Wrangler. Yes I know the next Wrangler might be delayed, but I think it'll be another big improvement over the current version, just like the JK was over the TJ. Personally I would like to see the next Wrangler with similar off road ability and much improved fuel economy. My image of the next Wrangler is a little longer, a little wider, and a little lower, with portal axles for much better ground clearance even though it's a bit lower; sort of a cross with an H1 look, but more aerodynamic. So how many of you are thinking twice about doing any more to your JK?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres always going to be the "next" version of everything. When the next wrangler will come out is def far from a solid date and as for the platform who knows. The only things I have seen or read about the next gen wranglers have been negative but at this point I'm sure its all speculation. The choice is yours to make if you want to mod your jeep or not, but I like to enjoy what I have while I have it and If there is a crazy awesome new wrangler in a few years that I have to have then I will address that situation when it happens. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by navin r
So how many of you have stopped modding because you're thinking about the 2016 Wrangler? I know I have, I never did anything really major to my 11' JKUR, but now I get those various Jeep parts catalogs in the mail and I start thinking;... it's now Feb. 2014, the next Wrangler could be out for 2016, when might we see it for sale? ...fall of 2015? That's only maybe 19 months away. No point in buying too much for my 11' when I'll probably be looking at the next Wrangler. Yes I know the next Wrangler might be delayed, but I think it'll be another big improvement over the current version, just like the JK was over the TJ. Personally I would like to see the next Wrangler with similar off road ability and much improved fuel economy. My image of the next Wrangler is a little longer, a little wider, and a little lower, with portal axles for much better ground clearance even though it's a bit lower; sort of a cross with an H1 look, but more aerodynamic. So how many of you are thinking twice about doing any more to your JK?
So basically you talk yourself out of modding your jeep in hope that the future jeep will be better and if it changes a lot no aftermarket parts for awhile either

Well you just stop me from modding mine anymore in hopes that the 2025 will be way better
Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have completely opposite thoughts. I'd like to see the next Wrangler preserve its dimensions and ride height.

While fuel economy will theoretically improve, and even though a diesel may be offered, I have a hard time believing the transaction cost to swap to an entirely new Jeep would be worth the marginal fuel savings for the average driver.

Chrysler also hasn't had a perfect track record of delivering trouble-free launches in the Wrangler lineup. I'll let the early-adopters work out all the issues, especially with any new engines or Freedom top designs.

And then there will be some of the Jeep faithful who will call the new Wrangler, "not a real Wrangler", meaning used prices on the JK won't slump anytime soon. TJ's are holding their value just fine.

Lastly, I'm not willing to spend the next 20 months NOT enjoying my existing Jeep in anticipation for what could be a front-wheel drive, car-based Jiat Frangler with a multi-air 2.4 and 9-speed automatic.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get more mods for the one you have. If you end up getting the new one when it comes out. Whenever that may be...strip your mods off and give them to me.

sent from the slow lane
Old 02-04-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

As long as you own a jeep you will never be done modding. That said the 2036 wrangler is rumored to swap tires for hover packs and be constructed of bubble wrap and dryer vent tubing.

Lol.
In all seriousness. I would build it to what you want and enjoy it. Why wait almost 2 more years for something your not even sure you will like. And when it does come out you will be in the same boat wondering about the next model and so on...
I have previously owned 4 jeeps I built up and now a 2014 I am building up. If the next jeep is awesome I'm sure I will end up building that one as well.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hey guys it's not like i'm parking my 11' JKUR, it's still my dd. I bought my 11' new so i've had it about 3 years now. I just think the next Wrangler will be a big step forward. I may buy something else but I think Jeep is going to come thru with the redesign, I'm looking forward to seeing what it is.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by navin r
Hey guys it's not like i'm parking my 11' JKUR, it's still my dd. I bought my 11' new so i've had it about 3 years now. I just think the next Wrangler will be a big step forward. I may buy something else but I think Jeep is going to come thru with the redesign, I'm looking forward to seeing what it is.
And what you going to do if it looks horrible and the suspension sucks , you never know it might look like the new Cherokee
Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

I'm done until I get more parts!😀
Old 02-04-2014, 01:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love my jk and I enjoy spending money on it, modding it, and having fun with it. If the 2036 jiat frangler has hover pack wheels and is constructed of bubble wrap i might be interested in it. but for now ill keep spending money on what ive got.

If they do away with the solid front axle and go to IFS like they are rumored to do, forget it. Ill keep my JK for a very long time.

Last edited by ScubaSteve913; 02-04-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: how many have stopped modding? thinking about 2016?