Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

how many have stopped modding? thinking about 2016?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very excited for the new model to come out! But I have absolutely no interest in buying one! The reason I want the new one to be released is so that JK parts get cheaper. Just look at how much cheaper TJ aftermarket parts are in comparison to JK stuff. I could care less if the new model is offered with a diesel or as a pickup option or hybrid whatever they put in it. I'll stick with my old 08'.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll let the early adopters work out all the kinks. That, and I don't feel a need to buy a new Jeep just because a new Jeep comes out. If it had a diesel, that would be cool, but it's not something that's going to enhance my Jeeping experience much because my gas engine gets me wherever I want to go. And, rest assured, the JK will enjoy a very long afterlife in terms of OE and aftermarket parts, just like its predecessors.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spicoli
I was in a hurry to make sure I got the current Jeep because I fear the next gen will not be as good as the current. Personally I don't like a lot of electronic control and the current JKs have a lot of electronics already and there isn't any creature comforts (like heated seats or blue tooth radio) that I would want more than what they already have. The JK is good offroad right out of the box, easy to modify and has great styling. As time goes on, the Jeep will be more rounded and more orientated towards the majority of its clientele. The Wrangler probably has one of the best aftermarket scenes and selections of goods, but our community is maybe 10% of Wrangler sales. I will say that our community, while small, does have a large influence on the image of owning a Jeep, which is one of the big reasons it sells so well to the Joe Blows of the world.

TJs were great, it was hard to believe JK could have been better, but IMO it is a great vehicle on and off road. I hope I'm wrong but I fear the next gen won't be as good as the JK. Remember if they make it lighter, they will most likely put a less powerful engine in it, and that will hurt you more if you are someone who wants to run bigger tires. If they keep the 3.6 but shed 500lb out of the body, that would be great.
I did the same. Found a color I had to have and locked it down. The EPA will surely take its toll on the Wrangler from here on out. Fiat may not help either.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just read a quote from Marchionne (sp?) In JP Magazine saying it was likely the next generation Wrangler would see a smaller, turbocharged engine.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if I go the route of getting a 2016 it might be just leasing it. I'm closer to having my 2012 Rubi just the way I want it for off roading. As others have mentioned, early adopters tend to get screwed with defects. And lets not forget that really good aftermarket parts won't be avail for at least a year anyways. Then if after the end of the lease I love the vehicle and it shows no signs of problems, well, I will just buy out the lease if it's worth it. But I don't see the need for a 2nd modded jeep in the garage. Time for me to start working on getting my mid-life(Kinda early) crisis Corvette anyways.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spicoli
Personally I don't like a lot of electronic control and the current JKs have a lot of electronics already and there isn't any creature comforts (like heated seats or blue tooth radio) that I would want more than what they already have.

Oh come on, you're telling me if they come out with a Lazy'Boy full massage chair as option you wouldn't buy that?

Quick Reply: how many have stopped modding? thinking about 2016?