Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How much money should I set aside for unexpected vehicle repairs?

Old 09-21-2013, 11:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How much money should I set aside for unexpected vehicle repairs?

What are the most common components you guys see get broken, damaged, or fail with our jeeps? Just trying to figure out how much money I should set aside for unexpected repairs. My warranty is close to expiring.

What would you say are the 5 most common warranty fixes on JK's and how much would they generally cost without warranty? If there is such a thing, and if anyone could answer that...

Thanks.

PS: Sorry if this is a stupid rookie question, LOL. This is my first jeep and I'm still pretty much new at it.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 09-22-2013 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are so many factors to try and figure in to know what u will need exactly.... U joints like to break.... Wheel sensors, tie rods and ends..... Repairs can add up fast too. I usually try and keep a grand in the bank JUST for car repairs
Old 09-22-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles and how do you plan to treat it? I've beat mine the first 22k and nothings come up. My uncle is around 70k, we've done the clutch, I flat backed it in half a day, was $300. The clock spring went out, that was $250, an injector for $60, and recently redid the drag link that was around $100. None of these came up until after 60k and were all simple fixes.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:06 PM
JK Freak

Well mine is an '09 and I got just around 28000 miles on it, so not much mileage. I do mostly easy to medium trails and not too often. Just whenever I get a chance. I don't bash on my jeep and I keep up with the maintenance.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's a Jeep, save and put aside every penny you can gahahahahahahahaha
Old 09-22-2013, 11:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here is the one bad day scenario. Take the local shop rate example $100 hr. x by 8 hrs. Equals 800 . Now take that divide by 2 gives you $400 for parts. Add that to the 800 and you get $1200. Now this what I tell my customers. Is it always true. No, sometimes it's more and sometimes it's less. But, it's a good starting place.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

The jeep is simple enough that most repairs are documented and can be DIYd with basic tools. I would familiarize yourself with the issue and fix it.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973
... PS: Sorry if this is a stupid rookie question, LOL. This is my first jeep and I'm still pretty much new at it.
This isn't a stupid question at all. But, let me suggest a slightly different approach: How much are you willing to pay for repairs to your Jeep in the event you're in an accident and it's your fault (okay, let's say you're like me and a spectacularly cautious driver, but a hail storm comes in and pounds your Jeep)? That should be the deductible on your Jeep. If, like many folks, you have it at $100, $250 or $500, compare how much your six month premium would be if you were to put it at $1000 or even $2500. Then save that money in the credit union (because you're smart enough to avoid the rip-off banks). And don't touch it unless either:

1. That hail storm strikes (or whatever), or
2. You need to tap if for emergency vehicle repairs.

The cool thing about this, is that instead of paying every year for low-deductible insurance, you now have an emergency fund for the remote event of an accident that you can tap for the entirely likely event of vehicle repairs. And the money you save after that vehicle repair on insurance will refill that account.

BTW: You can do the same thing for your house, if you own one.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 09-23-2013 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Clarified
Old 09-23-2013, 05:32 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Maintenance is key,do it often helps keep repair cost down.From oil changes to coming from a off road adventure,i take the time to wash not only the body but the under carriage so i can look for any damage.Everything wears in time so do your maintenance check-ups
Old 09-23-2013, 05:55 AM
JK Freak

Some pretty sound advice there guys. Thanks for the replies.

So far on my last offroad adventure, the only thing I broke was my axe. We had a large tree that had fallen directly across the trail. Got the tree cut, but with one last swing, the wood handle splintered in two, lol. Guess I need a new axe because apparenty they do come in handy.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 09-23-2013 at 06:11 AM.

Quick Reply: How much money should I set aside for unexpected vehicle repairs?