Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How to remove surface rust????

Old 07-23-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove surface rust????

SO I had some aftermarket brackets on the body and after removal there is rust junk on the paint. Also on the body side there are hundreds of little dots of surface rust. Last year the dealer gave it an acid bath and it was all removed, but now it is back. Does anyone know how to clean this stuff off?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:39 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was just under my Jeep yesterday. Saw a bunch of rust on my Driveshafts, joints, C's and frame. So I took a wire brush and brushed it. Then I took "CLP" cleaner protectant lubricant and a plastic brush and applied it to all the rusty parts. There not perfect but it's better than nothing.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

I do some Ospho each year when I get some free time. It converts the rust and seals it to stop the spreading.

Sent from my Droid4 and Jkfreaks.com
Old 07-23-2013, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

clay bar.....
Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperjkjeeper
clay bar.....
I Keep hearing about this magic clay bar... I'v heard it removes Bugs from paint smooths out scratches and now removes rust?? Is this thing really that good?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:38 PM
JK Super Freak

clay bar should be part of everybody's detail regime.....it will pull out all contaminants imbedded into the paint and removes the OP's description of "rail dust" spots all over the sides of the Jeep. Very easy to do ( takes about 20 min to do a 4 dr. Jeep ) ......from there continue on with normal waxing/polishing.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:56 PM
JK Junkie

Clay bar is good but it won't remove any deeper rust than just lightly visible rust. The clay bar is designed to be used on a clean surface, otherwise you may end up grabbing too much debris in the clay and that can tear up the paint.

I do use clay bar 2-3 times a year as well as the wax. Fwiw- ospho is only for direct metal, I certainly wouldn't recommend it for the paint on the body. I use in on the framerail and below- axles, c's, ds's, skids, all of it.

Sent from my Droid4 and Jkfreaks.com
Old 07-23-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Newbie

Where is a good place to get a "commercial grade" clay bar? I have one but was bought at Target and it does pretty much nothing.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Dustin...I use Mothers clay bar 2-3 times per year and my paint feels like glass...make sure the clay bar stays clean and never use it if you drop it on the ground.....use plenty of detailer spray to help the clay glide over the paint. It gets those little rust dots ( rail dust ) created from the brake rotors.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've sold and used clay magic. I would use their or something comparable to lubrishine so you don't waste more money using your detailer. You can yes but cheaper. I would also as stated wax as soon as you can. IMHO, wax is nice, but polish is better. Less elbow grease.

Quick Reply: How to remove surface rust????