Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I hate TPMS!

Old 11-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate TPMS!

If it wasn't for TPMS, getting wheels tires would be so much easier. Tire dealers around here want an arm and a leg to switch the TMPS over.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:51 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sucks, what are they $$$ estimating for changing the TPMS??
Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 PM
Zee
JK Freak

Best was $65, highest was $90.... PER WHEEL!
Old 11-16-2007, 02:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zee
Best was $65, highest was $90.... PER WHEEL!
Good Gracious!!!!!! I had my wheels & tires done at Sears and they didn't charge me for it. They wanted to but I told them I'd go find someone else to give my $1000 to for tires. They quickly realized it was worth it to them. Keep shopping, you'll find somebody that will do it either for free or at a reasonable price.

Al
Old 11-16-2007, 04:19 AM
JK Newbie

That sucks !!!
Most places around here charge $5 or $6 to switch tires.... you can figure that's about $25 or $30 for an hourly rate. They are telling you it will take them two or three hours "per tire" to switch them. "WOW"
Old 11-16-2007, 04:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Can TPMS Be Disabled

When it comes time to change tires and rims, cannot the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) simply be disabled, cut, removed, guillotined, and/or shit-canned at the same time?

My tire pressure gauge works just fine. Didn't ask for this. Don't want it. Let the Jeep poseurs (i.e. Hummer owners) keep it. . . .

Duane Behrens ("Perzuki")
Old 11-16-2007, 06:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Perzuki
When it comes time to change tires and rims, cannot the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS) simply be disabled, cut, removed, guillotined, and/or shit-canned at the same time?

My tire pressure gauge works just fine. Didn't ask for this. Don't want it. Let the Jeep poseurs (i.e. Hummer owners) keep it. . . .

Duane Behrens ("Perzuki")
You'll be hard pressed to find someone that has the know how and will shut it down for you due to liability issues. It may not even be possible depending on the computer. Whether you asked for it or not doesn't matter, all 08 vehicles are mandated to have them now. It's not a big deal to swap them out, it's just a valve stem.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:17 AM
Zee
JK Freak

That is one of the biggest problems living in Calgary right now, nobody is hurting for business, everyone's shop rates have gone up, and there are too many people that will just overpay for things. It is a challenge.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ursandal
You'll be hard pressed to find someone that has the know how and will shut it down for you due to liability issues. It may not even be possible depending on the computer. Whether you asked for it or not doesn't matter, all 08 vehicles are mandated to have them now. It's not a big deal to swap them out, it's just a valve stem.
I thought that if you change rims, without moving the tpms crap over, that you just get a couple dings at startup and a light on the dash. Anyone know?
Old 11-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Zee
JK Freak

It isn't mandated in Canada, I wonder if they can disable it at the dealer

Quick Reply: I hate TPMS!