Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

I'm always amazed at how capable a stock sport wrangler is...

Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm always amazed at how capable a stock sport wrangler is...

I went wheeling yesterday on some light/moderate big bear trails (2N02). I went with a a group of 3 other Jeeps, 2 YJs and a TJ. They all had lifts and at least 33s. I had my bone stock 2013 6 speed 2 door sport-- on street tires aired up to 40 psi. Although they were able to get the trail more quickly, I (and they) were shocked at how well my Jeep got through some of the more technical parts.

We also ran into a convoy of pretty well built JKs, some of which I am sure are on this forum. We oo'd and ah'd at an open mineshaft at the top of the mountain before parting ways.

I hit my skids only a few times, and pinched my tailpipe, but other than that it was smooth sailing. I don't have any pictures sadly. I wanted to post this simple story to everyone who has a relatively stock JK and has to daily drive it, and has some fears that the JK will break or not make it up some trails. I mean, I wheeled with aired up street tires, 3.21 gears, no lockers, connected sway bars, and no lift, but still kicked that trail's ass!

So if any of you are apprehensive about wheeling and feel you can't get out there until you get some wheels, tires, and a lift-- just go. These JKs are amazingly capable, and I'm glad I explored the potential of the stock JK to see the real affect mods will have down the line.

Happy wheelin!
Old 04-28-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I regularly wheel my bone stock JKU Rubicon with several other JKU Rubicons that have the AEV 3.5" and 35's, and we all make it through the same obstacles. It makes it difficult to drop a few grand on those upgrades when I know it's not going to really make a difference on where I can take my Jeep.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soooooo you are saying that the Teraflex 6" Long arm lift kit with 40" tires will be going on real soon so you will not pinch your tail pipe next time.
Cool......... can not wait to see the 40" tire monster .............................Just kidding,LOL, I am glad to hear that you had a great time up there.
With a little bit of mod's these Jeeps almost go anywhere. Party On
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RKracing
Soooooo you are saying that the Teraflex 6" Long arm lift kit with 40" tires will be going on real soon so you will not pinch your tail pipe next time.
Cool......... can not wait to see the 40" tire monster .............................Just kidding,LOL, I am glad to hear that you had a great time up there.
With a little bit of mod's these Jeeps almost go anywhere. Party On
Haha well, my wishlist is a simple 2.5 teraflex coil/shock lift, with 33s. And some rocker guards. I got a bit nervous when I was sliding sideways into the bigger boulders, because the door would have taken a nice big dent. Luckily I didn't do any damage besides so scrapes to the skids.

It is apparent that bigger tires would at least help roll over rocks a bit easier, thus making the trail go by a bit faster. It was apparent that I had to go a bit slower through the trail than the bigger rigs, and a lot of that was based simply on the effort the smaller tire took to go up and over some rocks that a larger tire could have just smoothed over.

Still, a great day on the rocks! I love my jeep!
Old 04-28-2013, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

I hear ya, I took my stock '10 sport, 3.73 non locker on BFG KM's up Daniel Trail in Uwharrie National Forest a few weeks ago, as well as Dickie Bell and Dutch John. The stock skids did their jobs though and the plastic step rails took some minor dings. Granted, I didn't do the real technical parts of those trails but I got up them. To say I was impressed is an understatement. Oh, I pinched my tail pipe too.

I have just installed some JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks for a net lift of 2" front and 1 1/4" rear, so I am itching to go back and see how this setup handles the trails (maybe hit the intermediate lines this time).
Old 04-30-2013, 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by glock-n-roll
I hear ya, I took my stock '10 sport, 3.73 non locker on BFG KM's up Daniel Trail in Uwharrie National Forest a few weeks ago, as well as Dickie Bell and Dutch John. The stock skids did their jobs though and the plastic step rails took some minor dings. Granted, I didn't do the real technical parts of those trails but I got up them. To say I was impressed is an understatement. Oh, I pinched my tail pipe too.

I have just installed some JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks for a net lift of 2" front and 1 1/4" rear, so I am itching to go back and see how this setup handles the trails (maybe hit the intermediate lines this time).
What number springs did you have stock?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bonanza
I went wheeling yesterday on some light/moderate big bear trails (2N02). I went with a a group of 3 other Jeeps, 2 YJs and a TJ. They all had lifts and at least 33s. I had my bone stock 2013 6 speed 2 door sport-- on street tires aired up to 40 psi. Although they were able to get the trail more quickly, I (and they) were shocked at how well my Jeep got through some of the more technical parts.

We also ran into a convoy of pretty well built JKs, some of which I am sure are on this forum. We oo'd and ah'd at an open mineshaft at the top of the mountain before parting ways.

I hit my skids only a few times, and pinched my tailpipe, but other than that it was smooth sailing. I don't have any pictures sadly. I wanted to post this simple story to everyone who has a relatively stock JK and has to daily drive it, and has some fears that the JK will break or not make it up some trails. I mean, I wheeled with aired up street tires, 3.21 gears, no lockers, connected sway bars, and no lift, but still kicked that trail's ass!

So if any of you are apprehensive about wheeling and feel you can't get out there until you get some wheels, tires, and a lift-- just go. These JKs are amazingly capable, and I'm glad I explored the potential of the stock JK to see the real affect mods will have down the line.

Happy wheelin!
Do yourself a big favor and air those stock tires down to 18-20 psi. You will be amazed at how much more it can do
Old 04-30-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Take off your muffler and throw it away. No more pinched tailpipe
Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 AM
JK Newbie

It's actually amazing what these can do. Back when mine was stock I took it through a mud pit that got several of my friends rigs stuck. I was in mud up to about an inch below the door sill and it just powered through it in 4lo. This was mud that you'd lose boots in too. I have yet to get seriously stuck
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnymurad
Take off your muffler and throw it away. No more pinched tailpipe
Yes!!! Go do it now!!! I just took my muffler off cuz I was gonna paint it black and noticed how banged up it was, then I went for a cruise sans muffler and wow that sound is badass! Definitely not for everyone but give it a shot before u drop money on an exhaust system, then you'll never have to worry about smashing it up...

Quick Reply: I'm always amazed at how capable a stock sport wrangler is...