Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Insurance question

Old 10-17-2012, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Insurance question

Just curious if anyone has taken out additional insurance on their JK to cover mods? I was thinking that book value on a stock Jk would not even come close to covering the additional money tied up on the mods. Can you even do that?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my agent told me as long as i had pics reciepts etc that it would be taken into consideration in event of a loss . state farm rules !
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm an insurance agent in North Carolina. Not sure how it works in other states but ill throw some info out there for the folks here...when your agent is writing an auto policy, there is a section to add coverage for "customized equipment". You automatically have $1000 but anything over that you're out of luck. You will need to give an itemized list of mods and prices for each. Also, SAVE RECEIPTS!! its an optional coverage and most agents never even mention it. I've heard many horror stories of built to the hilt cars and trucks being stolen and without that coverage they got what the vehicle was worth as a factory rig. Give your agent a call and discuss it with him/her....or if you NEED a new agent, message me haha.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My insurance will only cover up to $5000 of any additional equipment. That barely covers lift, rims, and tires. It's better than nothing.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carolinajk
my agent told me as long as i had pics reciepts etc that it would be taken into consideration in event of a loss . state farm rules !
State farm has a built in 20,000 add ons in there full coverage policies. But receipts need to be kept and like everything else parts depreciate. I had ask my agent about this for my Harley.

Quick Reply: Insurance question