Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

J30 camper

Old 08-08-2012, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$5grand... Hmm, a bit cheaper than the habitat. I'm looking to probably get one.. After this weekends camping trip, I'm kinda worried about canvas roofs anymore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-586953155.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	351596

Name:	image-2953086447.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	351595

Yosemite squirrels chew pine cones off the trees and eat them.. This one landed on my sons face while he slept (7am). He had an imprint of the cone and sap in his hair. Small knot on the side of his face, scared us pretty bad. Glad he was ok, but now- Fiberglass roofs is sounding like a better idea.. This is definitely on my Xmas wish list

Last edited by SaFFFari; 08-08-2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

I recently got one of these. Its great not needing to set up a tent in the wind or at night. It add several hundred pounds and 6". With the stock 16's I'm feeling a little top heavy in cross winds passing ect. Do you think a thicker sway bar would help?
Old 01-27-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by gs450
I recently got one of these. Its great not needing to set up a tent in the wind or at night. It add several hundred pounds and 6". With the stock 16's I'm feeling a little top heavy in cross winds passing ect. Do you think a thicker sway bar would help?
Do you have a picture of it locked down in mobil position? Welcome to the forum.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gs450
Interested in hearing more about your experience with this Thinking of getting one or one like it for myself.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM
JK Newbie

I've got a J30 on order for my 2012 jkru, should have it in April sometime.

I've spent plenty of time in tents, or the back or a truck, etc. But the last few years I spend a lot more time traveling and exploring and setting up "camp" in random spots as I go. In the Pacific Northwest it rains often and a lot, and packing up wet gear and sleeping on wet ground gets really old. I loved my old VW 4x4 van, went anywhere, comfortable to camp, always had what I needed when I got "there" or more correctly when I broke down on the way. For about a year I had a slide in camper on a truck and it was just too much. Too big, couldn't take the damn thing anywhere, didnt use half of the things it had.

I originally wanted the JK habitat but looked at it, and the j30 in person. The habitat is cool and has tons of space, but it's too big and bulky when opened, requires 14' overhead clearance to open, and it's a ton of exposed tent material to pack away wet. Did I mention that it rains here a lot?!

The j30 is a lot more simple, less expensive (not by a land slide), solid roof over head, only small vertical tent walls. Not much to collect water, easy to shake or dry off before closing, can install a roof rack and carry kayaks, boards, bikes etc. There is enough space to keep sleeping bags up there so you've always got a bed ready to go, any time, any place. I normally travel solo and without any plans so it should be perfect for me. The floor space is even a little bigger than the tent that my wife and I normally use, so it works for us.

Yes it's going to add a little weight over the hard top and a few inches. But much less than a big rack and a roof top tent. Eight bolts takes it off like a factory hard top. I'm stoked about it. Ill have to come back and post pictures when it shows up.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking forward to seeing some pics, especially from the inside. Hope it works out for you! That's pretty cool.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 PM
JK Newbie

Some pictures I collected from others...

Old 04-08-2013, 07:43 PM
JK Freak

I love this so far, just have to see it in person to unleash the wallet on it.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone have an idea of the shipping cost for one of these to florida?
Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
... Yosemite squirrels chew pine cones off the trees and eat them.. This one landed on my sons face while he slept (7am). He had an imprint of the cone and sap in his hair. Small knot on the side of his face, scared us pretty bad. Glad he was ok, but now- Fiberglass roofs is sounding like a better idea.. This is definitely on my Xmas wish list
My son and I were backpacking in Redwood Canyon, Kings Canyon National Park. We noted all day how noisy the forest was as the sugar pine cones (which your son is holding, I believe--largest pine cone of any tree, BTW) fell. Since the Sugar pine trees can be 200 feet tall, the cones fall a long way making a lot of racket. But, at night the forest is deathly quiet. Unnervingly so. Anyway, glad your son was alright. here was our campsite under a pretty big Sequoia tree ...

Name:	Vacation 2003, King's Canyon, Sometimes You Need More Rope 2!.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	629724

Quick Reply: J30 camper