Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jack options??

Old 08-26-2014, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jack options??

I have been doing some research and still unsure what I should go with.....I figure the scissor jack that came with the vehicle probably wont work due to my lift and tires. I know hi lift, but my issue with that is mounting locations so I was looking at alternatives......... I bought a 20 ton bottle jack from HF, but it was broke and took it back. Sears has a 2 1/4 ton small floor jack with a case. I was looking at this for portability etc. but is this too small? Base is probably a little larger than the bottle jack and it goes up to 15 1/2 inches in length I think. I didn't want to waste the money or time returning it, if this will not do the job either?????

Thanks
Old 08-26-2014, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the AEV jack base and use the stock scissor jack. It stores nicely in the cargo cubby and gives an extra 4-5 inches. You could also use a 4x4 block of wood if you didn't want to spend the cash on the AEV base. Either option is great for changing a tire in the side of the road. A hi-lift is great for off road situations.
Old 08-26-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of issues here
The OEM jack is useless once your do any suspension lift without the AEV plastic base (if you have done a lift over about 3.5 and tires of 35 even that may not be enough.

The problem with Bottle Jacks is they really do not lift that high and all the pressure is on a little 2” round point that you have to put on a flat spot on the jeep somewhere. There are not a lot of flat spots (Axels are round if you have not noticed). On the trail doing a tire change is not the time to start looking for a spot to lift your jeep up when you are on uneven ground.

Hi-Lift Jacks are also hit and miss. I have seen over and over people will break out their Hi-Lift and hook onto their bumpers/rock rails and start jacking away to realize the suspension just continues to droop. You MUST put a strap of some type around the axel/spring to stop the droop before you start lifting (I use a cheap aeroquip style strap). My other issue with Hi-Lifts is most of the time people have no idea how they work. I would suggest you try out your new Hi-Lift before you get on the trail!!
Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhxSilver
Lots of issues here
The OEM jack is useless once your do any suspension lift without the AEV plastic base (if you have done a lift over about 3.5 and tires of 35 even that may not be enough.

The problem with Bottle Jacks is they really do not lift that high and all the pressure is on a little 2” round point that you have to put on a flat spot on the jeep somewhere. There are not a lot of flat spots (Axels are round if you have not noticed). On the trail doing a tire change is not the time to start looking for a spot to lift your jeep up when you are on uneven ground.

Hi-Lift Jacks are also hit and miss. I have seen over and over people will break out their Hi-Lift and hook onto their bumpers/rock rails and start jacking away to realize the suspension just continues to droop. You MUST put a strap of some type around the axel/spring to stop the droop before you start lifting (I use a cheap aeroquip style strap). My other issue with Hi-Lifts is most of the time people have no idea how they work. I would suggest you try out your new Hi-Lift before you get on the trail!!
Thanks I appreciate it. I have not bought a Hi lift, was doing research and asking before I wasted time and money............
Old 08-26-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used my hi lift in a few situations and have yet to have any issues great product as long as you know how to properly use them
Old 08-26-2014, 09:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I was always intrigued by these airbag jacks....
http://www.streamlineimport.com/home.htm

But as far as a scissor jack, I always thought this design was the bomb....
http://www.quaddrotech.com/index.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-523259492.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	573152   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4232005540.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	573153  
Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's another option to use with bottle jacks.
https://bmihydraulics.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&c ategory_id=15&Itemid=23

and check out their main bottle jack accessory page. Various bases are also available

Last edited by RodCyn; 08-26-2014 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In case of the Hi-Lift, I'd recommend the BOGERT Safe Jack Stabilizer, which solves the inherent lack of sideways stability. Link -
https://bmihydraulics.com/index.php?...mart&Itemid=23

There's the DAVISON jack -- a scissor jack which suits most offroad situations.
On sand or mud, I'd add a metal or wood plate under it.
A nice touch is that it can be operated with an electric drill.
More compact than a Hi-Lift and without the Hi-Lift safety issues, I think this is the jack I'm finally going to replace the Hi-Lift with.
VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRT7wqOz6s For offroad use, I'd rather stick to mechanical jacks and avoid oil pistons.

The Quaddro Scissor Jack that was pointed to here (and which will be launched next month), seems to be very well designed -
Quaddro Technologies - WORLD'S SAFEST 4x4 Off-Road Vehicle Recovery Mechanism.

Last edited by GJeep; 08-27-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
In case of the Hi-Lift, I'd recommend the BOGERT Safe Jack Stabilizer, which solves the inherent lack of sideways stability. Link -
https://bmihydraulics.com/index.php?...mart&Itemid=23

There's the DAVISON jack -- a scissor jack which suits most offroad situations.
On sand or mud, I'd add a metal or wood plate under it.
A nice touch is that it can be operated with an electric drill.
More compact than a Hi-Lift and without the Hi-Lift safety issues, I think this is the jack I'm finally going to replace the Hi-Lift with.
VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPRT7wqOz6s For offroad use, I'd rather stick to mechanical jacks and avoid oil pistons.

The Quaddro Scissor Jack that was pointed to here (and which will be launched next month), seems to be very well designed -
Quaddro Technologies - WORLD'S SAFEST 4x4 Off-Road Vehicle Recovery Mechanism.
I think I found the one.....really liking the Davison jack.. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2014, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Searching looks like proto type? Where do I buy one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply: Jack options??