Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep for bike?

Old 04-24-2013, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep for bike?

I'm thinking of trading in my Jeep for a bike. Reason being is the Jeep always has something wrong with it( and it can never be something simple like low oil or flat tire, it has to be my drive shaft, pinion bearing, or something else expensive.) And I just don't have that type of money to be replacing all these important things with aftermarket. The gas is starting to kill me ($20 round trip to work every time) and the payments are 464 plus 160 insurance. It's so expensive and right now I can afford it while living at home but all my money is going to the Jeep and I need to save. What would you guys :do?
Old 04-24-2013, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Buy a commuter car. That's what i did. I'm driving 140 miles a day, almost 35 dollars a day.

I figure the first time i would have to but new tires fire the jeep, the junker has paid for itself.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If money is already tight, I doubt there's room to buy a commuter car. I'm sure most will tell you not to do it; like you're giving up your first born. You have to be realistic with yourself. Owning a Jeep is no fun if it's bleeding your bank account dry, you have to think big picture. You can always come back to a Jeep! Good luck with your decision!
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From a pure financial standpoint, it would make sense to sell the Jeep as long as you can get out from underneath it. Then, it would make sense to pay cash for a cheap commuter vehicle (not a motorcycle) so you can save up for future goals.

I've owned 2 motorcycles and I wouldn't consider either to be a cheap or effective mode of primary transportation. Too much risk to assume for just commuting. They were great for recreational riding, but that's it. Totally impractical and not much of a value proposition as a replacement for a commuter vehicle.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just sold bike for JKU. Love the decision but only have 5 mile ride to work.

Good luck in decision. My vote is keep jeep. Stop doing Mods for a while or buy a 90 civic that'll run for 300k
Old 04-24-2013, 11:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'd get rid of the Jeep and get a reliable vehicle; I love bikes but they are too dangerous for everyday use imho; it's usually not the bikers fault either; some person just pulls out in front of them or comes into their lane w/o seeing them and that's the end of the biker. Jeep reliability has gone up in the last few years but if it doesn't improve quite a bit more my JK will be my first and last Jeep. I have zero loyalty to a manufacturer that continually craps all over their customers. Jeep apologists need some professional counseling imho.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you wheel a bunch, or is your JK heavily modded? I'm surprised to hear about problems like that.

My JK has been my daily driver for about 4-5 years, 50 miles a day. Not very fun at times, but not sure I can give it up either. I've considered a cheap commuter car, but then I'd hate commuting even more. I'm too much of a car guy to drive an econo-box, personally.

Bikes are fun... but there are a LOT of quirks with them. Rain, and 'helmet head' (if you have to go somewhere looking halfway respectable) were my two biggest issues. It also gets a little old having to carry things in backpacks or tank bags everywhere you go.

My advice would be to stick with the Jeep, but keep the repairs budget minded. IE: Craigslist and the parts sections on the site. If the JK is modded - perhaps move it closer to stock.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Kinda in the same boat here but not getting rid of the jeep, I hear ya on the expensive part but ya gotta pay to look good my friend and it will always be like that no matter what. I will be getting a motorcycle within a few months just as a commute to work and recreation vehicle. Up here in buffalo I really only got the jeep for the snow\convertible factor. If I lived in Florida, I'd still be driving that gorgeous 5.0 mustang convertible :(. Not saying the jeep isn't awesome, but the things do suck on gas. 500hp v8 in the mustang was getting 23-25 highway. Ridiculous lol
Old 04-24-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm in the same situation as you although my payment is a little lower and my insurance isn't as high as yours but I'm 21 and just move out on my own and have a daughter and its getting to be too much to handle. I just put mine up for sale. I figure i can always buy another one one day when money won't be an issue. I say sell it cause that's way too much money to be paying on a jeep an if your wanting to move on your own it will make things a lot easier with out that payment
Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya gotta do what ya gotta do . its sad , but like others have said you can get another later . been there done that dude . but rest assured there will be one with your name on it when you are ready again . also forget the bike , yep they are cool andfun and all that and i had a street bike ever since i was 17 up until two years ago . sold my last one and jumped in a jeep . people are maniacs nowadays and riding was becoming dicey on a daily basis . at my wifes pleading i got rid of it and havent looked back . get a good used car and hang in there

Quick Reply: Jeep for bike?