Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep died, flashing lights?

Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep died, flashing lights?

Driving to work this morning, going about 70-75 in 4th gear running about 3000rpm. All of a sudden two red vertical lines with a lightning bolt light started flashing and the Jeep stopped responding. I started to pull off and the traction control light started flashing also. Stopped and turned key off then started jeep again, and all was well. Made it rest of way to work with no issues. Any ideas what this could have been?
Old 09-16-2013, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Are there still any trouble lights on your dash lit up?
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

It just sounds like your computer went all crazy for a little bit. Jeeps have always been notorious for computer problems. My buddy use to have a grand cherokee that would just roll all the windows down and the locks would start locking by themselves. He had to stop, kill the engine, then restart to clear everything.

That's one of my main reasons for getting a stock as hell JK. No power anything and only AC and an AM/FM CD player.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine did the same thing once it was right after I shifted gears lights went on car shut off the red lightning light freaked me out a little but after pulling over and reading about the light a little I decided to try start the car back up it started no problem started driving and now 40k miles later never happened again lol go figure. My only guess is I shifted to a lower gear? I been driving stick for 25 years but sh*t happens lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-16-2013, 07:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Should be the same for your '07, as all JK's have this light. Stolen from another post:
According to the official 2012 Wrangler app (that our wonderful sales-gal had us download at purchase time ) the red parentheses and lightning bolt symbol is the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control Warning Light).

It says (to paraphrase):

" this light monitors the ETC system. The light should come on as a bulb check when the ignition switch is first turned ON and remain on momentarily when the engine is started. If it does not come on have the system checked by an authorized dealer.

What does it mean? This light indicates a problem with Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) system.

How is my vehicle affected? If the light is flashing when the engine is running, immediate service is required and you may experience reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine stall and your vehicle may require towing.

What should I do? Cycle the ignition key when the vehicle has completely stopped and the shift lever is placed in the PARK position. The light should turn off. If the light remains lit with the engine running, your vehicle will usually be drivable, however, see an authorized dealer for service as soon as possible."

And that's all the Wrangler app says. Try consulting your manual first to verify this symbol and the information I posted above. Beyond cycling the key I don't know how else to help.

Oh, I forgot to ask if this was a '12 or newer.

I hope this helps a little.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great thanks for all the info everyone! No more lights on the dash in response to that question. I'll look at the manual and look into it a bit more. Probably just chalk it up to being a jeep thing. Lol

Quick Reply: Jeep died, flashing lights?