Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Is Finally Going To Build A Wrangler Pickup

Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Is Finally Going To Build A Wrangler Pickup

Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Truck 1.jpg
Views:	538
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	623483Click image for larger version

Name:	JK Truck 2.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	623484September 1, 2015

In the near 30 years or so that the Jeep Wrangler has been on the market, not once have they offered a pickup version straight from the factory. If you wanted one, you’d have to head to a shop (or opt for the Cherokee-based Comanche). But finally, after years of waiting, it looks like we may see a real Jeep Wrangler pickup.

The report comes from Automotive News, and it suggests that the Wrangler pickup will be on the market by 2017 or 2018. That’s the same time Jeep will unveil the all-new Wrangler.

Production of the new pickup will stay in Toldeo, Ohio. But in order for the Wrangler to expand, the best-selling Cherokee will have to make a move to FCA’s Michigan plant. CEO Sergio Marchionne provided some more details.

“We found a solution that accommodates a variety of other interests to us because of the way in which we can move some product around,” said Marchionne. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist [to know] that the only way I can move around the Wrangler is to move it into the other Toledo plant.”

Details on the project are still slim, but we can assume that with the recent interest in the mid-size truck market, Jeep will likely aim its new Wrangler pickup at the Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Colorado, Nissan Frontier, and possibly upcoming Ford Ranger. We’ll keep our eyes peeled for a reveal in the next few months.
Production of the new pickup will stay in Toldeo, Ohio. But in order for the Wrangler to expand, the best-selling Cherokee will have to make a move to FCA’s Michigan plant. CEO Sergio Marchionne provided some more details.

“We found a solution that accommodates a variety of other interests to us because of the way in which we can move some product around,” said Marchionne. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist [to know] that the only way I can move around the Wrangler is to move it into the other Toledo plant.”

Details on the project are still slim, but we can assume that with the recent interest in the mid-size truck market, Jeep will likely aim its new Wrangler pickup at the Toyota Tacoma, Chevrolet Colorado, Nissan Frontier, and possibly upcoming Ford Ranger. We’ll keep our eyes peeled for a reveal in the next few months.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't wait to see that beauty! I've wanted a wrangler truck ever since I saw those pictures you posted way back in 2006 when they were released.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting...

Most midsize pickups are IFS, right? So, if the Wrangler will also include a pickup model, does that mean it will also platform-share, and will it get its own front suspension? I think Marchionne leaves us with more confusion about the Wrangler itself than clarity on a new pickup model, and even then, details are scarce.

C'Mon Sergio, is it gonna be more like the Dakota, or the AEV Brute? lol. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That 2005 prototype was on a Ram 1500 frame. Lets hope the production units are on the Wrangler frame. I would also hope they came with D44 axles front and D60 rear.
Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I hope it has a higher towing capacity than the current JK Unlimited (3500#). If Jeep wants to sway new customers from their trucks, rather than just reapportion its jeep customers, they'll need to offer things that truck owners want/need.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryno1
I hope it has a higher towing capacity than the current JK Unlimited (3500#). If Jeep wants to sway new customers from their trucks, rather than just reapportion its jeep customers, they'll need to offer things that truck owners want/need.
Yup. I loved my life when I had my YJ for goofing off and my Tundra for pulling it around. I'd love a jeep pickup, but only if it can pull my JK on a trailer with ease.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2015, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

I am really loving that Jeep Pickup!
I have my hopes set on a diesel option and enough tow capacity for my horse and little stock trailer.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryno1
Putting it on a J8 platform with a diesel should solve that problem.

Quick Reply: Jeep Is Finally Going To Build A Wrangler Pickup