Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep inspection for lifetime warrentee

Old 03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep inspection for lifetime warrentee

I have an 08 Rubicon. I received a letter from dealership. If I don't bring it in for inspection they will void my warrantee. I assume it's some kind of scam but couldn't get a definite ans from jeep. I am sure they will void it anyway because it's lifted and has a snorkel and winch.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Doesn't sound legit. What type of inspection? Of what??
Old 03-16-2013, 07:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is legit. You're supposed to get the inspection every 5 years before the 5 year period or some shit.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

Last edited by shockwaveaz; 03-16-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They need to do it I think within 30 or 60 days of the 5 year anniversary of your purchase. If you don't, POOF, the lifetime is gone. Had mine done, they found a couple of issues and fixed them free (one was water pump) under warranty. On to the next 5 years.

They may drop portions of the coverage based on modifications - and dealer may not flag them as voidable depending on how cool they are.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

From the 2008 Warranty Booklet regarding the Lifetime Powertrain Warranty:

G. Inspections
In order to maintain the Lifetime Powertrain Limited
Warranty, the person or entity covered by this Powertrain
Limited Warranty must have a powertrain inspection
performed by an authorized Chrysler, Dodge, or
Jeep dealer once very 5 years. This inspection will be
performed at no charge. The inspection must be made
within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the
in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the
inspection performed to continue this coverage.
For your convenience, powertrain inspection logs
have been provided. You should use these logs to
keep track of each 5 year powertrain inspection interval.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks I should have looked it up
Old 03-21-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

I just took my O8 JK in for my 5 year inspection and all was well EXCEPT I have been to dealer several times with the issue of popping out of first gear...they said there is no record... funny how I had my copy of the work order that said looked at issue and could not duplicate...proof that you should keep all you records...Now as to the problem I am having now the dealer has called and said Jeep will not pass warranty because my passenger side air bag light is on...hmmm what the heck does that have to do with the powertrain??? Dirty dealership???
Old 03-21-2013, 02:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lake Bum
I just took my O8 JK in for my 5 year inspection and all was well EXCEPT I have been to dealer several times with the issue of popping out of first gear...they said there is no record... funny how I had my copy of the work order that said looked at issue and could not duplicate...proof that you should keep all you records...Now as to the problem I am having now the dealer has called and said Jeep will not pass warranty because my passenger side air bag light is on...hmmm what the heck does that have to do with the powertrain??? Dirty dealership???
Funny you should mention something about dirty dealership?
My father passed in early November of 2012. He bought a Chrysler 300C about 8 months prior. I took the car out for lunch and noticed she is due for an oil change and I can feel something like a bad wheel bearing in the front end. So I return at my moms house, helping her with some of her paper work. Call the dealership and asked about the warranty. They said the maintanence warranty has ended for the oil change, and they find no record of an extended warranty. So i said O.K., I thought my dad would have bought those but maybe he didn't. I looked thru the glove box and low and behold, all the reciepts. Called the stealership back, they again tell me the same thing. I said thats funny because I have the reciepts for the oil change program that does not expire for another year, and the extended warranty agreement that is good for 84 months or 75,000 miles!! Nothing but silence on the other end. Then he says I will have to call you back. He calls me back about an hour later, you guessed it, " sir, good news we found your paperwork and you are correct" !!! That had to kill him to say that. Never, ever, trust what they tell you at the stealership.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't received my letter yet, but my 5 year is due sometime in April/May on my 08. I'll post an update afterwards. I'm not expecting much since I've modded the hell out if it, but every time I take the JK to the dealership the service managers and techs always seem to comment on how much they like it.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '08 will be due for its first inspection next year. The extended warranty only applies to the first registered owner, and starts at the end of the Basic Limited Warranty (3 year/36000).

Quick Reply: Jeep inspection for lifetime warrentee