Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep - Newbie

Old 11-10-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep - Newbie

PLEASE HELP - I am a new JK Forum user and am trying to decide if the new 08 Unlimted Jeep is for me. I always said that if Jeep came out with a 4 door then I was in. Well a year later and I am about ready to buy, but my problem is, everything I read or research on the JK 4 door Sahara is more negative than positive. I am most concerned with the leaking hard-top and engine stall problem that I have often read about. I recently rented an X - based model while on vacation and had to return the first vehicle for a second one, since the softtop would not, could not go up and the heat or AC did not work.
The 2nd one was better and I THOUGHT IT WAS GREAT!
I am not a young kid and my wife and friends think I am crazy and can't understand why I am getting out of my lux sport utility. Even with all the bad press that I have researched,,,, a day does not go by that I do not look up a jeep or visit your forum. Which is hands down the best on the web.
I will not be going off road and will be using it as a daily driver. I currently have a deposit on an 08 Sahara Unlimited, with dual top, auto, side air bags and remote start in black.
Any honest thoughts, advise or suggestions would be appreciated.
I am in your hands and depending on your responses will determine if I sign on dotted line within the next three days.
Thanks
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Jedi Master

Welcome to JK-Forum fredyp. What you have been reading is not necessarily consistant with what is actually out there. Most people will post a thread about something that may be wrong, but all the rest are not posting that they don't have a problem. While there are some bugs in the JK line of vehicles, they are being worked out. Overall I am very happy with my Jeep as most members seem to be. Test drive the Sahara you are looking at and if you think it will fit your needs then you should consider signing on the dotted line.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

x2 on what Robar says. We use the forum to discuss problems we have so we can help each other out, but you can be sure we all love our JKs.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:39 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from an '05 Acura sedan to an 08 Sahara 4door...

my hard top leaks, Ill be honest its a simple easy to fix leak, I just didnt bring it in to the dealership yet because the leak is barely a leak... In a heavey downpour I might get 2 or 3 drops on my dash. Its there but it doesnt bother me, Im sure when I bring it in they will replace the seal and the problem will be gone.

I am very happy with my purchase and feel good about it and myself because I bought what I liked.. not a MB or BMW or Land Rover SUV, because to be honest, I like them, but they are not for me.
Id rather be able to remove the roof do some off-roading If I want.. be able to park in a parking lot without being concerned of someone hitting it with their car door (the saharas side steps work well to protect the sides of the Jeep),
My jeep is my daily driver and I drive about 26,000 miles annualy, the ride is more than comfortable to me, The Jeeps seats are very comfortable and supportive on long trips. Not to say my Acura wasnt also comfortable, but it was just plain boring.

I know that if I bought any other vehicle, every time I saw a Jeep I would be dissappointed with myself for not buying what I truly wanted.

Good luck with your decision and I hope you do what you really want to do and not what your peers are pressuring you to do. (Id bet half of them would like to own a Jeep but for whatever reason they feel they cant)
Old 11-10-2007, 06:57 AM
JK Freak

I had the stall bug; but dealer did the flash to computer and fixed first time. I do have the clunking from the door and I have tried to adjust the striker myself and it removed 75% of noise but other than that I have not had any of the other problems. I would not trade my JK for ANYTHING on the market or any concept in sema show.....
Although the idea of a 2009 500 horsepower Dodge Challenger is very tempting. Since I regret selling my 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T S/E 440 engine and 4-speed trans with Dana 60 rear and 4.10 gear....It was one of 142 ever produced and ran low 13 in the quarter mile....

Your heart will not forgive you; if you do not get what you want!!!!! TRUST ME!!
Old 11-10-2007, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto on what the other guys said. The negative always gets the attention. I have had none of the problems with my Sahara. It is the funnest vehicle, even on th cummute, and I would highly recommend it.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

When you see the the "It's a Jeep thing...you woudn't understand", you don't realize how much truth there is.

With a Wrangler either you love it or hate it. I had a 97 TJ and sold it in 99. I regretted getting rid of itthe day I sold it and have wanted another ever since. I have two kids and it simply did not work. Now the 4 door comes out and it all makes sense to me. I can have a 4 door vehicle with enought cargo capacity to take my wife and jkids on a trip for the weekend. It is 4x4. It is a convertible. It is perfect!

If you read articles from car magazines or sonsumer reports, you will never buy one. They don't understand. It is not about a smooth or quiet ride, it is about driving a Jeep. If the top leaks, so what, the interior is made to get wet. I am very fortunate that my wife agrees with me so ours is on order.

If you enjoyt he idea of the Jeep, go for it. You will not regret it.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:42 PM
JK Super Freak

JUST BUY IT ! Expect to have an issue or two, the good will out weigh the bad. I have a 07' 4dr Sahara, one of the first out and I have had no issues that involved more then a 30 min. visit to the dealer, in fact only one. I got the flash done.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

It is a Jeep thing and it sounds like you do understand. You look at the Jeep site everyday You are already assimilated and its too late for you. Buy the Jeep and enjoy not only the Jeep but the comraderie that goes with it.

The people at work think i am crazy to buy an expensive Rubicon and take it out and wheel it (its onl a month or so old) and they will be even more surprised when i show up Monday after wheeling this morning, with the dent in my rear bumper (plastic is dented in) and some scuff marks on my fender flares (I didn't intentionally abuse it).

But the bumper is scheduled for replacement with a better unit in the future and I specifically bought my Jeep to enjoy it for what it was built for, wheeling, and unfortunately, scratches and damage comes along with that, you know why? Because its a jeep thing....
Old 11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have an 08 unlimited Sahara and the wife has an 08 2 dr Sahara. I have both worlds. One is auto the other standard, 1 hardtop the other soft. I cant really decide which i actually like more. The hardest thing is sneaking out with the wife's while she's asleep!!!!! Otherwise she wont let me touch it unless I'm putting parts on it. I have already added CAI's and catbacks which have perked up both motors but they barely have 500 miles on them. My auto is a dog with the overdrive but you learn to turn OD off in the city and it is fine! Took the unlimited out bone stock the first week on some So Cal easy and medium trails and it performed fine. Might opt for a 2 inch lift but the 31" tires are fine until they fall off. No leaks or issues with either top. Just put on rock rails too. Now the OL is eyeing grills. Funny she never was interested in add-ons on any of her other vehicles (except the CAI).
GO FOR IT!

Quick Reply: Jeep - Newbie