Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep Trailer Questions

Old 01-06-2015, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep Trailer Questions

I want to get started on moving forward with a trailer for my JK in order to be ready for this Spring. An AT Overland trailer is more than I would like to spend so I planned on going one of two ways. Fabricating my own (would hope to be completed by Spring) or purchase a M1102 at a local military auction. The M1102 has a gross weight of 1450 lbs. ( I can deal with it) but would way ahead of the game to start modifications. Of course a fabricated from start project would be ideal but the amount of time needed is a big negative.

The main question I need answered before I decide is concerning the hitch. The M1100 series as most military trailers has a pintle hitch. The review of the Survive + Thrive trailer build contained in the Bug Out Trailer Build posting in this forum stated that the military pintle hitch system is " has bad on-road manners and creates unnecessary wear on the drivetrain". Does anyone else have any solid information or knowledge concerning this issue (pintle hitch). The article suggest a lock n roll hitch which I believe is a better solution, but why is the pintle so bad.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Expedition Trailers - Expedition Portal

Everything and then some is there for what your looking for.

I'm working on doing a overland trailer myself soon. I need to polish up my welding skills first though......
Old 01-08-2015, 04:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out manleyorv.com
Old 01-09-2015, 12:59 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by mtngoat64
... why is the pintle so bad. ....
A friend of mine built his trailer to use the pintle hitch it came with (old Canadian military trailer), but it was too noisy during highway travel. He replaced it with an off-road specific hitch. Not sure where he got it, but Adventure Trailers does sell them. If you're going off-road, I'd definitely recommend more than just a street hitch ... you never know when you might flip or roll that trailer on its side (I've seen so many it's ludicrous, but here's a picture on one on a really challenging day on the K-Trail in Oklahoma) ...

And here's that Canadian trailer ...

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-09-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Jeep Trailer Questions