Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Jeep Wave
Hell yeah!
89.47%
Only when I feel like it
7.89%
Uh, no thanks
2.63%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Jeep Wave - Cool or Fool?

Old 02-09-2016, 09:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love the jeep wave. My wife and I wave first almost all the time. There are times when you don't see the other person until it is too late, but still wave. If they don't wave back we just make fun of them for it. my kids even get in on it with the waves. The get just as excited when we get a wave back. I don't know how many people watched the Super Bowl, but they even showed the jeep wave in the jeep commercial.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I even wave at FJ40 drivers, though they generally never wave back.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The Jeep Wave is completely random around my town. Either first time owner's who don't know or older (2 door) owner's who look at me and refuse to wave back. There are a few, happily, that wave back, but so far and in between, that I now wave without looking. Sad, but there it is.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im driving an XK presently, so the Jeep wave is pretty much dead to me personally. No one waves at me and if I waved at a JK or something, they'd likely just be confused.

When I get back to a Wrangler soon, I'll resume the wave. Which for me is mostly situational. If I'm feeling like it, and see a vehicle, especially top down on a nice day, I'll give a big wave.

But I always return waves.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Newbie

I always wave and usually wave first. I remember receiving my first wave back in 87. We had a 84 CJ7 for a few months, but live in the LA area and were on vacation and got a wave. I was so shocked and it reminded me of being back in farm country where everyone waves at everyone. At first I thought he was just being friendly but then another Jeep waved and we figured it out.
Love to wave and was pumped to see the wave as part of one of the SB commercials.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I pretty much always wave......Its become a rarity if I get a wave back, but when I do its cool.....Jeeps are awesome to me and I've made quite a few great friends because of the Jeep thing......
Old 02-10-2016, 07:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The thing is, with Libertys, Patriots, Renegades, new Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, XJs plus all order of Wranglers and old CJs, well that's a lot of waving. I don't think I I can drive more than a quarter mile on any public road in the Austin area without encountering another JK, and unless I am driving around a residential area at 3:00 in the morning, there's no way I am not constantly encountering one of the above listed Jeep-brand vehicles.

And the problem with most of the JKs around here is basically they fall into three types. The vast majority are JKUs driven by women in their 30s-40s who clearly are not into waving. They drive a JKU simply because it's a tough-looking SUV. Then among the remaining numbers, most are otherwise plain stock JK suburban mall crawlers who never wave and then like 5% are the no-doors, giant lift, 35+" tires with intentionally-applied mud, driven by middle age guys with a worn out baseball cap and a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off. Those are the only guys who wave.

So since like 95% of even JK drivers don't wave, I just don't bother most of the time. When I do wave, it's returned only about one time out of 20.

Now, when I had a car that didn't sell 250K+ units a year, we had a wave, and it was nearly 100% participation. But that's because you encountered another one only about once a week.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wave. Most around here return it.

Why? Because I've owned jeeps since I was 17. Got my first, a '79 CJ-5, I got while working on a dairy farm during the day and pumping gas(long before self serve) at night to make payments. Today's JK is my 5th Wrangler. The "It's a jeep thing" I get.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It's just a wave. I do it when I can, even if it's just "deuces" off the top of the steering wheel when I've got my hands full. If it's not returned, I don't care, but it's cool when it is returned. Problem is, people think I'm crazy when I wave at them, when I'm driving my truck. Oops, have to remind myself I'm not in the Jeep --and likewise, when I'm in the Jeep, sometimes it takes a wave at me or two before I'm back in "wave at Jeeps" mode.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I recently heard from a Lifted WK owner that waves at all jeeps like i do in my JK that he thinks that Us JK owners seem to think we're better than all other jeeps, including CJ's YJ's TJ's And LJ's. Which i don't think is true, but whats your thoughts on this matter?

Quick Reply: Jeep Wave - Cool or Fool?