Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep won't move in gear

Old 04-25-2013, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep won't move in gear

Had a new clutch put in a few months ago and have had absolutely no problems with it but today it just does not want to move. I can shift into gear, 1st, reverse goes into gear as smooth as always but it will not move an inch. Any advice on what this could be would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

07 Unlimited Sahara
Old 04-25-2013, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you put it into gear without using the clutch? Can you push the jeep by hand with it in gear just as if it were in neutral?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by genesbro
Can you put it into gear without using the clutch? Can you push the jeep by hand with it in gear just as if it were in neutral?
No, I cannot push the Jeep if it's in gear it will not move. I can put it into gear without the clutch but it grinds a little in first gear, it seemed to slip into second with no effort without the clutch.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Either the hydraulic piston is holding the clutch disengaged or the clutch is toast. Have not removed the slave cylinder from a jk so don't know but if like ford you can twist it counter clockwise to remove it and that will rule it out if you then can't put it in gear. Should not even come close to being able to put in gear without clutch disengaged.

When you had the clutch replaced do you know what all parts were replaced?

Last edited by genesbro; 04-25-2013 at 04:30 PM. Reason: to ask new question

Quick Reply: Jeep won't move in gear