Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jeep wrangler hard top repair

Old 02-13-2016, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jeep wrangler hard top repair

Hey all,

New jeep owner, currently loving it! After three days of owning my 4 door wrangler I decided to take the top off and shockingly dropped it :/. It's just a crack in the corner. Anyone know how to paint over just the crack to get rid of the ugly white?! A buddy said to use some sharpie to do for now. Open for any ideas!! Maybe spray some rino guard in a cup and paint it on? Sorry if this is the wrong place, first forum post ever!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2647827735.jpg
Views:	962
Size:	405.2 KB
ID:	637635
Old 02-14-2016, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First off Welcome to the Forum and if you have not already done so please stop by New Member Registry and give us an introduction. I have attached two links.

The New Member Registry
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-f...t-here-329234/

Now to answer your question. The top is an injected mold fiberglass that is a real pain to repair. Since the area is on the lower corner I would take some black RTV and seal the crack and touch it up with some flat black paint. By doing this you will keep water from seeping into the top and deteriorating it. Be sure to tape off all that you do not want black. Overspray sucks.

R/
Will
Old 02-14-2016, 05:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hysol EA956

I don't have a Hardtop but I do have a lot of Experience in repairing CarbonFiber and Fiberglass on Aircraft. Saying that depending on the crack it might not need much attention just some RTV sealant.

On the other hand If it is cracked bad I suggest Sanding the area down to see the real damage. Cracks are only some of the damage you can see. You might have internal delimitation. By shining a High power flashlight on the area from the inside you might be able to see more damage.

Once you have determined to damage, For a crack I suggest stop drilling the crack with a small drill bit. Then you can repair the damage by Mixing up some Hysol EA956 Fiberglass resin and with a paper cup mix in some Fiberglass "Flock" or ground up fiberglass cotton powder. Then you can fill the holes with the resin/Flock mix.

After that this step is not necessary for small repairs like this but you can get some peel ply put that onto of the repair on both sides. Then apply putty tape around the repair on both sides. Place a mylar sheet on the back then put your vacuum seal attachment beside the repair cut a slit into the mylar for the air nozzle to come out then place the top mylar on and connect it to your vacuum control box.

After 24 hours of curing you can inspect the repair making sure there are no gaps or air bubbles. If it is a good repair you can lightly sand down the repair, clean with 90% Alcohol let dry and prime the repair.

Saying all this, This might be overkill. If an Aircraft panel fails it may lead to a death of a pilot or crew member. If a Jeep hardtop go's bad you just get water in your Jeep.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 02-14-2016 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Spelling & grammar
Old 02-14-2016, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips. So can I just use my finger to spread the RTV to seal it off then use a touch up pen? I worry about taping it off and spraying since won't it look funky? Or will it all blend in and not be noticeable that I have sprayed it? Since the material is pretty much the rino liner?

Quick Reply: Jeep wrangler hard top repair