Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Which JK is better 2 or 4 door?
2 Door JK
46.43%
4 Door JKU
53.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

JK 4 Door vs 2 Door -

Old 04-23-2013, 11:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK 4 Door vs 2 Door -

Let me start this post with two statements.

1) I Love Jeeps and have owned Jeeps since 1997 and I currently own a 2012 two door JK Rubicon
2) This next statement is only to get a discussion going and not to hate on any type of Jeep, so keep it civilized.

Knowing the vast 70+ years of Jeeps I can't square the idea of a four door Wrangler. I know the extra room and ease of entry for the rear passengers is great, but doesn’t the longer wheel base negate part of the reason why Jeep Wranglers are so capable? It turns the Wrangler into more of a Cherokee or other four door SUV.

I know it is still capable and stout but as I drive I see more JKUs than just JKs and wanted to post the question which is better off-road stock? Which has better departure angles? Which one would get stuck more often because of size. I know modes can change everything that is what I am asking about stock.

I am more of a purest and only like the styling of the two door Jeeps. I don’t really dislike the four door JKUs just not my cup of tea. I am hoping to get a good comparison of the two that might help a new buyer decide for themselves.

Thank all for your input.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:24 AM
JK Newbie

I voted JKU based on the title. For me the JKU is a better vehicle. The JK is a better off roader though, just fairly useless to me in my daily life.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Search my friend...there are several heated debates about this out there already.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the approach and departcher angles are the same between the two door and four door. The four door has less of a break over angle due to length (point goes to 2 door). The four door can climb steeper inclines due to it's longer wheel base (point goes to JKU). the 2 door can negotiate tighter turns
on the trail (point goes to 2 door). More gear can be stowed in the 4 door (point goes to JKU). This debate can go on and on so it basically boils down to personal preference and what the owner needs/wants. Why stretch a 2 door when you can purchase Wrangler that has a factory stretch and 2 more doors?

I love them both but happen to have purchased a 4 door because it was different at the time. It's the norm now though haha!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There certainly are more 4 doors on the road than 2 doors these days. To me, the big difference is how you use YOUR jeep. If its your dd then a 4 door is far superior in my opinion due to how much more comfortable and practical it is in daily life. It's hard to talk off road in stock form between the two because most don't wheel stock and mods really dictate capability when you go that route. So for me, I voted 4 door with my family life and being a dd.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sold my 2dr when I had kids, last thing I said was, "If Jeep ever makes a 4dr I'm buying it." And my wife agreed. So now I have a 4dr. For obvious reasons, one has benefits over the other. IF I was going to have a true off road only, my personal preference would be the TJ Unlimited. Best of both worlds, storage, wheel base (shorter than a 4dr, but longer than the 2dr) and tight capabilities.

~JDub

Sent from this Dang Thing
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Each one has its capability to wheel. the jku can get high centred but better on hills.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

We have both, and I enjoy each of them. The 4-door is a stock Rubicon, the 2-door is my lifted Sport. When we go wheeling this year, I'm going to really enjoy not having gear piled up to the roll-bar in my 2-door. For that, there's the 'Momicon'
Old 04-24-2013, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I see beauty in both. But while my jk was getting some adjustments at dealer. They gave me a jku as a loaner. Felt like I was driving a ford explorer. Esp if its a automatic. Four doors + auto = regular SUV In my book.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jk kris
doors + auto = regular SUV In my book.
Not with the top and doors off

Quick Reply: JK 4 Door vs 2 Door -