Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK brakes and rotors

Old 09-23-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK brakes and rotors

I have a 2011 Jeep JK and recently brought it in for an oil change and tire rotation. The service guy came out and told me I need new rear brakes. Said my fronts were fine. He also said that the rear rotors could not be turned because they come smaller from the factory. I have never heard of that. He then proceeds to give me a price of almost $535 to replace both rear rotors and all pads. I almost flipped out!

Has anybody ever heard of that? The rear rotors being smaller/less thick then the front rotors. Or am I getting scammed from the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 09-23-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Newbie

The rears do wear out faster than the fronts.

$535 seems high ... rear pads, rotors and hardware can't be more than $150 total in parts (mid grade).

Thus $375-400 in labor ?
Old 09-23-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to find a different mechanic. This ones trying to rape you.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

My rear brakes wore out a lot faster than my front. I had them all replaced but didn't turn the rotors. Do you think you need yours turned? If not, I'd just replace the pads.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the rotors are in bad shape and cannot be turned then replace them yourself. You can do it cheaper and it is not very difficult. I believe there are writeups if needed.

If the rotors are in good shape, not burned or grooved, you can probably just replace the pads. I did on mine and they work fine.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

My rears were burnt up in 25K and ruined the rotors. I tried to get the rotors turned but was turned away so I bought new rotors at O'Reilys for $38 a piece and did them myself. It was fairly easy, and I rarely work on my own vehicles but Jeeps are easy to work on. BTW fronts were fine but I changed them anyway to put on better quality pads. I have 60K now and just rotated tires ... front and back are still in good shape.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:15 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by pasteris71
I have a 2011 Jeep JK and recently brought it in for an oil change and tire rotation. The service guy came out and told me I need new rear brakes. Said my fronts were fine. He also said that the rear rotors could not be turned because they come smaller from the factory. I have never heard of that. He then proceeds to give me a price of almost $535 to replace both rear rotors and all pads. I almost flipped out!

Has anybody ever heard of that? The rear rotors being smaller/less thick then the front rotors. Or am I getting scammed from the dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
You can get all the parts you need for a lot less than that.Save even more by do it yourself
Old 09-24-2013, 04:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone clarify what you mean by "turned"?
Old 09-24-2013, 04:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Check out ebay. I got a complete set of front and rear cross drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads for about $210.00 shipped. Definitely a good deal and they work great. Cheaper than going to the auto parts store as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
Can someone clarify what you mean by "turned"?
Essentially shave down the rotor to a smooth surface. The lathe turns the rotor as the bit moves across the surface.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: JK brakes and rotors