Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK for an FJ!?!?!

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JK for an FJ!?!?!

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any experience with both the Jk and FJ?

Because I've been having some problems with my jeep I'm thinking about trading it for a FJ. Don't get me wrong I love my jeep but for me I think a FJ would better fit my needs. I go off roading from time to time but nothing crazy. And I do more overlanding (driving down back roads) than rock crawling. I would much rather have a more on road capable SUV than my jeep.

My only concern is that I'll regret this decision. Has anyone been in this situation before? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would go to an fj forum they will have more info. From what I know they have better on road then jks but its more money to get them on bar with jeeps off road
Old 11-04-2012, 11:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by codename607
Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone had any experience with both the Jk and FJ?

Because I've been having some problems with my jeep I'm thinking about trading it for a FJ. Don't get me wrong I love my jeep but for me I think a FJ would better fit my needs. I go off roading from time to time but nothing crazy. And I do more overlanding (driving down back roads) than rock crawling. I would much rather have a more on road capable SUV than my jeep.

My only concern is that I'll regret this decision. Has anyone been in this situation before? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have a JKU, and had also driven a FJ (not mine) both on & off road.
My impression is that, compared to the JKU, the FJ is unpleasant to drive on roads, and less capable off-road.

The FJ is good, solid and reliable, but IMO a Jeep is better in too many respects to replace it with a FJ.

Last edited by GJeep; 11-04-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

you aren't going to find many supporters for that decision here. I bet you can find out how great the FJ is on an FJ forum though. A friend has an FJ, he scrapes more than me off road but he loves it.(not the scraping part)
Old 11-04-2012, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by codename607
. And I do more overlanding (driving down back roads) than rock crawling. I would much rather have a more on road capable SUV than my jeep.
Hi from sweden

Have you tested a stock 2012 or 2013. I mean that You have a rather modified wrangler that might have negative impact on how it drives on the road and also You have a slightly weaker engine compared to the Pentastar engine.

I think a stock or slightly modified unlimited 2012 or 2013 will be a great overlanding vehicle and be capable on road.

I think a Wrangler looks better and I think Jeep wrangler have much more cool after market accessories and probably bigger forums

Best regards

O. Brannstrom

Last edited by Omar Brannstrom; 11-04-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys for all the feedback. I'll check out some of the FJ forums and see what they have to say.

I'll try and test drive a newer JK and see if that can change my mind. Maybe I just have to many mods on my JK for a good reliable daily driver.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in this same situation...

I used to own an 07 JK 2 sahara. Loved it. But I needed more room. I figured I do more camping and fishing than off roading so I thought that the Toyota Tacoma would better fit my needs. Traded in the jk for a 06 Trd Dbl Cab Tacoma. It was a good truck. Did well off road but not like the jeep. Got pretty boring and every time I seen a jeep I missed my old one. The Tacoma help up nice and had lots of power but its not like driving a jeep. Sooooo. I ended up trading in the Taco for a brand new 2012 JKU sport. I couldnt be happier. This new engine has tons of power that makes my jeep feel like a sports car on the highway compared to my old JK. Before I got it I test drove the new tacomas and the new Fjs. I didnt like the FJ at all. It was hard to see out of and it was just too bulky for my liking. Wasnt a fan of the half door in the back and it didnt feel as comfertable as the new wranglers.

just my 2 cents.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A stock Rubi handles great on the road and I'm pretty sure it outperforms a stock FJ off-road.

Think in your shoes I'd start over with a new JK and consider mods for the best on-road handling and decent off-road performance. I'm a long way from having tried everything on my JK, but I think that some of the coolest looking mods are not the ones that handle best on the highway.

By the time an FJ is modified to keep up with a Jeep on the trail it may handle like a pig on the highway. I guess that is one more recommendation to check out the FJ forums.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

I had a 07 FJ. Went with 35's, Icon suspension, All-pro bumpers, sliders, and winch. Felt very comfortable on road. Only mild off-road use. Had more "nose-dive" under quick, panic braking then my current jk. Engine was great. Watch the "blind spots" due to the strange configuration of the rear doors and quarters. I felt it steered better than my current and still new 2013 JKUR. Jeep steering is still "twitchy" to me. Like any vehicle you adjust and learn it and then it is normal manners. I would check FJ forums but while I was there they are anti jeep. Most of them. Good luck. I really like my new jk and I'm looking forward to mods.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

I've been from Tacoma to jeep to FJ to jeep to Kia back to jeep. Don't get the Kia.

But the FJ was a fun vehicle to drive around. I had a 6-speed 4x4 but never did anything to it. Took it off road a couple times and slid all over the place in some lite mud. Ripped off the little plastic wings snagging trees. Still drove great to me. Very solid feeling and we had just had our son so felt safe. If you go over to the FJ forum they are going to tell you to get an FJ. Just go out and drive one over night. You might hate the blind spots, which were mentioned earlier, you might feel its too bulky. Everyone is different. Just be happy with what you drive and that's should be all that matters.

Sent from my thingy.