Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Gear Shift Knob - Pop off or screw off?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Gear Shift Knob - Pop off or screw off?

Hi. I have a 2010 JK Unlimited Sport and am trying to figure out if the gear shift knob pops off or screws off? I've found varying answers online and the dealership was not exactly helpful when I called. Thanks! Steph
Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stackedcreative
Hi. I have a 2010 JK Unlimited Sport and am trying to figure out if the gear shift knob pops off or screws off? I've found varying answers online and the dealership was not exactly helpful when I called. Thanks! Steph
Both knobs 'pop' off. Can be a challenge. What I found easiest, wrap a towel or rag around your shift shaft just below the knob. Lightly hold the side of channel lock pliers or crescent wrench against the bottom of the knob and around the shaft. Tap up as needed with hammer on pliers until the knob 'pop's off. Keep your face clear though because the knobs usually launch up and into your back seat.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Sweet. Thanks! So, it's like a champagne cork? Good to know. Now I can put a babydoll head on the shift stick! Wahoo! hahaha
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by k0260
Both knobs 'pop' off. Can be a challenge. What I found easiest, wrap a towel or rag around your shift shaft just below the knob. Lightly hold the side of channel lock pliers or crescent wrench against the bottom of the knob and around the shaft. Tap up as needed with hammer on pliers until the knob 'pop's off. Keep your face clear though because the knobs usually launch up and into your back seat.

This is a much better method than I have used.

My way leads to a 25% chance of never being able to have children.

Quick Reply: JK Gear Shift Knob - Pop off or screw off?