Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Gremlins and Mystery Noises

Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Gremlins and Mystery Noises

Thought it might be interesting for people to post up solved and unsolved mystery noises from their JKs. The smaller and more irritating the better: the kind of problem you dread having to explain to a service advisor. Mine involved an annoying rattle at highway speed. Turns out a fender clip (probably loose from the factory) had come off inside the driver's rear fender well and was ratting around. I finally found it stuck between the rock rail and the fender.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4078900464.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	374871  
Old 10-06-2012, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

If there is one thing I can not stand, that is a rattle. That is the most annoying thing be glad you found it.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JKJA10
If there is one thing I can not stand, that is a rattle. That is the most annoying thing be glad you found it.
Got a good one. Pretty well since new I have been getting a good rattle/klunk in my steering wheel. After numerous trips to the dealer, hitting different trim peices, adjusting the steering wheel etc. On an off road scoot with the family I figured out it was the brake pedal. Its rattling around down on its mount and transferring to the steering wheel. Now, the only thing left is to figure out how to fix it....anyone have any ideas?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

I had a neighbor stop me when I was going down the street to tell me my rear end was making a grinding sound. I was a bit panicked because he's a pretty good car guy. I had my wife drive it and heard the noise but it was more of a rattle. After climbing under I found some debris stuck between the muffler heat shield and the body that was rubbing on the heat shield & making the noise.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Tailgate rattle is pretty annoying.... basically the only thing I have found to work (after several trips to the dealer) is to grease the latch really well.... get a tube of grease and a brush and re-grease it every 2/3 months and you are golden.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by uber
Tailgate rattle is pretty annoying.... basically the only thing I have found to work (after several trips to the dealer) is to grease the latch really well.... get a tube of grease and a brush and re-grease it every 2/3 months and you are golden.
Might try the "wrap the latch with a short piece of electrical tape" trick others have posted. That fixed a door thunk/rattle on my last JK.

Quick Reply: JK Gremlins and Mystery Noises