Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Maintenance Intervals

Old 10-07-2015, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Maintenance Intervals

So my boss may reassign me to another location based on company needs. I completely understand his position and realize he was put into a really tough position to have to ask me to relocate. I don't envy what he is having to do.

That being said I have no intentions of moving since our kids are in a great school district now and would have to move to a really poor school situation. Here's what it comes down to. I would have to drive an additional 100 miles per day over my current commute. He has told me that I wouldn't be able to charge mileage for the commute, but the company would increase my salary to account for the actual costs of operating my vehicle. So I have been trying to calculate the per mile operating cost of a JK. I can calculate depreciation of the JK based on how long I expect to keep it. Fuel mileage is easy. I need to list all of the maintenance items and how frequently they must be performed. I guess the first thing that I need is a list of the recommended maintenance and intervals. I looked at the owner's manual and found it pretty insufficient. What maintenance items do you plan on performing and how often? I realize this depends on how you operate the JK. Most of my miles are on the street but I do frequently go on hunting trips and weekend warrior type wheeling trips. No rock trails around here. Here is what I have so far (these are out of the owner's manual):

differential fluid........................30k
brakes.....................................60k
transfer case fluid.....................60k
air filter...................................15k
spark plugs...............................50k
ignition cables.........................100k
coolant...................................100k
manual transmission fluid..........100k
PCV valve...............................100k
oil change..................................6k
windshield!!!.............................50k
PS flush....................................50k
brake flush...............................50k
headlights.................................50k
battery.....................................50k
ball joints................................100k
wheel bearings.........................100k
belts and hoses........................100k
major maint (a/c, ps, alt, etc...)...60k

List a price too if you have one. I do my own maintenance, but it helps to know.

Scott

Last edited by scottmcwms; 10-07-2015 at 07:20 PM. Reason: edits based on feedback and putting thought into it.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You should be changing the air filter more frequently than 30k. Don't forget the belt and I'd do plugs at 50k. I take that back, I did do my plugs at 50k and 100k.

For prices, check rock auto.com, their prices are very fair and they have OEM parts so the prices are on point.

Ball joints, wheel bearings, power steering flush, brake fluid flush could also be added since they'll likely need attention by 100k. Coolant should also be done before 150k.

Lastly...tires! They are pricey. Will it outweigh the standard mileage you could ask for at 56¢/ mile? That's a fair number as decided by the government and it may work out a little better after you start crunching your numbers.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Ask for an additional $7 per hour to cover the cost of the additional 100 miles per workday.
That's approximately what 56¢ per mile works out to.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Ask for an additional $7 per hour to cover the cost of the additional 100 miles per workday.
That's approximately what 56¢ per mile works out to.
Thanks guys. I made some updates to the list. I agree with your thoughts. I have a spreadsheet with these items and the expected shop costs (basically I am going to say you have to pay shop prices if you want me to drive). The spreadsheet includes depreciation, fuel and tires already. At $2.50/gallon it is getting perilously close to the $0.56/mile rate that the government calculates (maybe they know something after all).
Old 10-09-2015, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scottmcwms
Thanks guys. I made some updates to the list. I agree with your thoughts. I have a spreadsheet with these items and the expected shop costs (basically I am going to say you have to pay shop prices if you want me to drive). The spreadsheet includes depreciation, fuel and tires already. At $2.50/gallon it is getting perilously close to the $0.56/mile rate that the government calculates (maybe they know something after all).
It doesn't sound like you're factoring in your time or inconvenience. That's another 100 miles worth of time (1 hour, 40 minutes at a solid 60mph). Your standard 8 hour day just became almost 10 hours, plus vehicle operating costs.

I'd start looking for another job. If it comes down to it, you can reasonably prove a hardship based on the new worksite location and could probably for unemployment if you told your employer no, and they let you go.

If you stick with it, shoot for the moon on a salary adjustment.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
It doesn't sound like you're factoring in your time or inconvenience. That's another 100 miles worth of time (1 hour, 40 minutes at a solid 60mph). Your standard 8 hour day just became almost 10 hours, plus vehicle operating costs. I'd start looking for another job. If it comes down to it, you can reasonably prove a hardship based on the new worksite location and could probably for unemployment if you told your employer no, and they let you go. If you stick with it, shoot for the moon on a salary adjustment.
You make a good point. They are going to work with me on that and let me travel one way on the clock. Since I'm not in a bad position I don't want to quit. I can tolerate the inconvenience for a while until I find another opportunity. I have worked for this company for 14 years so it isn't like they abuse their employees. They take care of us. Hence them being willing to pay me for expenses. I just have to show them what they are.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is this temporary or long term? If long term, have you considered buying a used Honda Civic or something similar as a commuter? The jeep is not an ideal commuter.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stubicon
Is this temporary or long term? If long term, have you considered buying a used Honda Civic or something similar as a commuter? The jeep is not an ideal commuter.
Blasphemy!!!

Just kidding. This is a permanent position that I consider temporary. I would be looking for other opportunities. In fact I am already looking but I have the luxury of being picky since I am currently employed. If I didn't have a job I wouldn't be so picky.

Quick Reply: JK Maintenance Intervals