Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

JK Problems

Old 09-25-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JK Problems

I have a 2008 JK Unlimited X. I have roughly 23,500 miles on it. It is stock except for a front bumper and winch. I use the Jeep as my daily driver to work, school, and the gym. I also use it offroad whenever I get a chance. Usually once a week. Nothing too serious. I normally get in some mud, a little bit of rock, and some fairly deep water.
I was doin a self check on it the other day and noticed a loose wheel bearing. I took it to the shop and they found that along with that, I needed new brakes, and my Dana 44 in the rear is about to fall apart.
Is this just bad luck or am I really that hard on my JK?

Last edited by TallonFour; 09-25-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:13 PM
JK Jedi

Nah it was just a little bad luck I have 40k of hard miles and hard off road. My only issue that wasnt my own doing was my rear locker not engaging. Just had it fixed a few weeks ago.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by about to fall apart?
Old 09-25-2009, 02:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by saltman
What do you mean by about to fall apart?
The mechanic told me the amount of play I found when I checked the wheel bearing ( Jeep on jack stands and move the tire side to side) is the amount of play in my spider gear.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry but it sounds like BS to me...ALL axleshafts have some in and out play- this does NOT in itself indicate spider gear wear.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Sorry but it sounds like BS to me...ALL axleshafts have some in and out play- this does NOT in itself indicate spider gear wear.
The amount of play I had was tremendous. I can't give you a physical measurement but it was not a good feeling to be able to move my tire as far as I could.

Quick Reply: JK Problems