Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Jk Storage Questions

Old 10-15-2016, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone on here store there JK for a long time (like 6 months) and had any issues? I have a '12 JK 4.5" AEV lift, axles gussets- gearing redone with winch a synthetic line. I just covered it, pulled battery and filled the tank. Am I missing something or should I watch for something? Click image for larger version

Name:	image-535655122.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	514.0 KB
ID:	658947 Driving a Audi A4 Quattro as a DD.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Fuel stabilizer?
Old 10-15-2016, 05:03 PM
JK Newbie

Should I have? I just filled her up... I thought about it, but then thought modern day fuel should be good? 93 octane?
Old 10-15-2016, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dsvictorious
Should I have? I just filled her up... I thought about it, but then thought modern day fuel should be good? 93 octane?
Use the stabilizer or you will gum up your fuel system. Buy a battery tender, disconnect the battery and hook the tender to it. If possible make sure mice can't get to it or they may chew the wiring (make sure it is vacuumed really well or ants may also become an issue), I used to put vehicles on jack stands but there really is no reason to.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
Use the stabilizer or you will gum up your fuel system. Buy a battery tender, disconnect the battery and hook the tender to it. If possible make sure mice can't get to it or they may chew the wiring (make sure it is vacuumed really well or ants may also become an issue), I used to put vehicles on jack stands but there really is no reason to.
Will do
Old 10-16-2016, 01:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

You absolutely should use stabilizer. Modern day gas has ethanol, which really sucks. I have first hand experience of ethanol cause my floats to stick on ATVs after only a month in storage. Any boat owner will also tell you how bad ethanol is during storage.
Also, I would have put the battery on a trickle charger rather than remove it. If the battery goes weak, it can freeze which will ruin it.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
You absolutely should use stabilizer. Modern day gas has ethanol, which really sucks. I have first hand experience of ethanol cause my floats to stick on ATVs after only a month in storage. Any boat owner will also tell you how bad ethanol is during storage.
Also, I would have put the battery on a trickle charger rather than remove it. If the battery goes weak, it can freeze which will ruin it.
Or if storing outside, pull the battery and put it in the basement of the house on a chunk of wood (old wive's tale? I still do it because my pap and my father did) and hook it to a tender. That way it should not degrade over the winter. I store mine in my garage from November 15 to march 15, and I just put a tender on it. My garage is also climate controlled, so it never sees freezing temps. I dump Marine fuel stabilizer in it before I fill it, drive it home from the gas station and put it away.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

My son's TJ spent two NJ winters sitting in my driveway. One while going through Marine infantry training and another while he was in Afghanistan. I had stabilizer in the gas and had the battery connected to a trickle charger, without the battery being disconnected from the Jeep. No problems with it when my son returned.

Quick Reply: Jk Storage Questions