Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

junk?

Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default junk?

Anybody ever thought the jk is a piece of s&%$? My 12 2 door sport has spent more time in the shop.than on the road. First water leaks, then cylinder head replacement , then I'm crusing and when I went to shift into 4th gear the shift knob disentegrated in my hand, and now the heater stopped working and the parts to fix it are on backorder with an unknown eta. Older jeeps like the old trusty cj and yj and even the Tj seemed to have better build quality. Jeep is an American icon and they should be built with pride and quality. Sadly I've been seeing more and more Jks sitting on used car lots at Ford and the others lateley. A friend of mines bone stock 2010 jk had to have the ball joints replaced with only 40 k miles ! That's ridiculous. I used to have a Ford pickup that I put 180k miles on and the only thing I ever had to do to it was replace the battery.... Chrysler needs to step up and admit they are building a poor quality vehicle .
Old 12-01-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by napamat87
Anybody ever thought the jk is a piece of s&%$? My 12 2 door sport has spent more time in the shop.than on the road. First water leaks, then cylinder head replacement , then I'm crusing and when I went to shift into 4th gear the shift knob disentegrated in my hand, and now the heater stopped working and the parts to fix it are on backorder with an unknown eta. Older jeeps like the old trusty cj and yj and even the Tj seemed to have better build quality. Jeep is an American icon and they should be built with pride and quality. Sadly I've been seeing more and more Jks sitting on used car lots at Ford and the others lateley. A friend of mines bone stock 2010 jk had to have the ball joints replaced with only 40 k miles ! That's ridiculous. I used to have a Ford pickup that I put 180k miles on and the only thing I ever had to do to it was replace the battery.... Chrysler needs to step up and admit they are building a poor quality vehicle .
Well I had one problem with my 2012 jk 2door, from day one shifting into fourth, and only fourth, would cause a nasty grinding noise

The dealer had a tsb (tech service bulletin) regarding the boot around the shifter, they replaced that and as I drove it home after that fix it still had the grinding so I called them and brought it right back in

They were real nice about it and gave me a loaner both times

They wound up taking apart the transmission and there was some sort if shaft they wanted to replace it but the part wouldn't be available for two weeks, so they got the ok from Jeep to replace the entire transmission

That did the trick and its been fine ever since

I wheel my jeep every chance I get and have done a few mods including a complete skid plate system from evo and the dealer was really cool about that and never said a word about it and removed/replaced

This is my fifth jeep, three grand Cherokees and two wranglers and this transmission problem is the first problem I've ever had

With all the problems you've had did you ever try and talk to Chrysler directly? Maybe try and evoke a lemon law?

I know the are a couple of people on here who've sold their jeeps back to Jeep or gotten a new one

Matthew
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nope!...My '12 JK 2 door is running great and is a quality vehicle - waaaaaay better than my '93 YJ that I had for almost 20 years.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Most of today's vehicles are considered disposable by the manufacturer. When you get a bad one they are supposed to just give you a replacement (lemon law) and get on with it.

Sux, but that seems to be what we have now.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Well trade it in and move on

If you notice nothing made now a days last as long as the stuff before

The 15 year washer still spinning the 2 year old one broke down twice
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Freewill
Most of today's vehicles are considered disposable by the manufacturer. When you get a bad one they are supposed to just give you a replacement (lemon law) and get on with it.

Sux, but that seems to be what we have now.
How do you go about evokeing the lemon law? Who at Chrysler do you need to speak to? My dealer wants to trade my heep for a used 2012 jku sport , just like mine but an unlimited. Im not to keen on it since its used though, I bought brand new and that's what I expect......
Old 12-02-2012, 02:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lemon laws vary state to state...

h t t p://www.txdmv.gov/protection/lemon_law.htm
Old 12-02-2012, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OH9JK
Lemon laws vary state to state...

h t t p://www.txdmv.gov/protection/lemon_law.htm
Thank you, I'm going to get this ball rolling. I love my jeep but Damn enough is enough
Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default jeep

I think Chrysler generally makes crappy vehicles. Who out there thinks Chrysler makes a better product than Ford or Chevy ? It just so happens that unfortunitally they make Jeeps ! I have had a couple problems with mine , but I won't get into that here . I think all cars nowdays are made with a life expectancy , and are made to break down somewhere right after the warrantee . Very few , if any are built to last like the old days. That goes for ALL products by the way ! I know that after my JKUR is long gone and turned into beer cans , ( I think they came from beer cans already , cheap flimsy sheet metal ) I will still own my 1961 Willys wagon . built to last , I can walk over the hood and cowl , (don't try that in your JK ! ) no electronics , and just pure beef . Not to mention a fraction of the cost , even with heavy mods.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 12-02-2012, 10:10 AM
JK Freak

You guys remember that Fox expose showing Jeep builders getting stoned and drunk on their lunch breaks? Good thing their union was there to protect these a-holes. I think some of this is poor engineering, and some of it is line production. Either way, Chrysler needs to get their crap together. Unfortunately that ain't gonna happen because there are so many people buying Jeeps. There is no incentive for Chrysler to make a better product. It's a shame when you consider the history of auto making in the US and our contributions to the industrial revolution.

I think what keeps me hooked is not Chrysler/JK, but the kickin' aftermarket. Think about all the stuff you can buy; there's no end to the upgrades/modifications.

Quick Reply: junk?