Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Just got her back

Old 11-21-2007, 09:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just got her back

I dropped my X off monday night for the leaky top, slow start (long crank), break recall and oil change.

I went to pick it up this morning, and low-and-behold, a puddle in the seat bracket! I marched right back inside and the service rep told me to bring it in (they have a nice indoor drop off/service staging area...). I went inside, where a Service Tech and the Service Rep were waiting.

He opened it up, and saw the leak. Said all they did last night was adjust the Sunrider side bow (It was on my list of things to get fixed too) and thought that it was the culprit. BS, I think. Another dealership told me the sunrider side bow and side bow clamp weren't adjustable.... UGH... He said he'd order new seals and have me come back in to see if that works. I can see where everybody is getting frustrated with this. From what i've heard the door seals dont fix the issue... but he insisted it should be the fix.

Are 2008's having the leak too? I'll have to scope out the 2008 2dr in the showroom next time and see if anything is new....

On a positive note, It seemed like the jeep drove a lot better. I was having issues with the clutch, as if it needed to be adjusted, and for that damn TSB squeak. For some reason it was all absent?! Nothing about it in the paperwork. Maybe I'm just going insane?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was in my 08's first real downpour today.....no leaks that I could find, and I checked it pretty close.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:25 AM
JK Junkie

Ah, but here is the thing: Leaks seem to only happen at standstill. I'm almost willing to say they only occur at standstill on flat ground.

My driveway has a flat area, and a steep incline when parked on the incline, there's no issue with leaking (as i've seen... but there has only been lighter rains, which is why i'm not 100% on this theory).
Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

All I know is that mine has been to the dealer 4 times to fix the leak. It is at the dealer now (6 days and counting). Supposedly, new '08 door seals were installed and it does not leak at all. I wanna trust the dealer, but they told me the leak was fixed the last three times as well. I will find out as soon as I pick it up. I'm just waiting for a new seat frame to come in and get installed.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Never had problems with my 2dr 08 when i park it in the rain. It has the sunrider too.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wash both our soft top and hard to p08's with hi pressure and now signs of leaks. Hope they find the problem!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

There are major differences between tops. I have an early month build date (Fri Aug 18 2006) and a friend of mine has an newer 07, well, his top is a completely different material then mine. all of his rubber parts like near the windshield, over b-pillar ect... are completely different as well. His does not leak, mine leaks like crazy. His top looks much more durable then mine as well. seems thicker. just something to notice, look at the inside of the your top, like the thread pattern and stuff, and then compare it to a newer one. and all the rubber seals and stuff, lots of differences.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Funny thing... I have a 6 speed on order and there is now a delay to order the hardtop, so I went to the dealer tonight to drive an automatic. The sales guy threw me the keys, I walked out to the JK and opened the door to find the center console flooded.

Yes the 08 leaks.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie

Mine is a July 07 (or was it june... i forget) build date... So I guess the 08 would pretty much have the same design as me.

It boggles my mind how some of us are leak-free and the rest of us have self-filling pools.

I guess it's just luck of the draw? I mean, seriously!

Hopefully they fix this, or I'm going to have to put hydraulics on this thing, that automatically squat one side of the jeep and lift the other end when I park it.... so the water rushes off and not in...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Mine still leaks with the 2008 seals installed. Apparently, my soft top is unfixable after 4 attempts.

Quick Reply: Just got her back