Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Kill switch on a 2012?

Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch on a 2012?

I've been hearing a lot of stories about people getting their jeeps stolen in SoCal. I'm moving to a not so good part of town and thinking about installing a kill switch for my 2012 Jk. Don't really know much about it.

Anyone know anything about kill switches? How to install it? Will it kill the warrenty?

Thanks, Luis
Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Any kind of battery disconnect would work. There are manual ones where you must open the hood, or a big solenoid relay (around 300 amps) would let you disconnect from a small hidden switch inside the Jeep.

You probably need a hood lock also.

There could be a more elegant way to disable a JK with small gauge wire and a small switch, but if there is I don't know about it.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Just pull the fuel pump fuse. No gas, no ignition. It won't keep it from being towed away though.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I still have to be able to use the jeep daily and be convenient.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Newbie

Under the dash going to the ignition is an orange w/ white striped wire. It is he hot wire to the ignition. You can splice a kill switch in line with that.
I just always chose to full fuel pump fuse when traveling. Easy to get to, but not obvious to fix
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Renegade44
Under the dash going to the ignition is an orange w/ white striped wire. It is he hot wire to the ignition. You can splice a kill switch in line with that.
I just always chose to full fuel pump fuse when traveling. Easy to get to, but not obvious to fix
Thank for the information.

i will probably to that when traveling as well. do you know the number or location of the full pump fuse?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All jeeps since 2003 have had a immobilizer built into the ignition system, not sure how they are stealing them but they arent driving them away thats for sure.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VolcomTi
I've been hearing a lot of stories about people getting their jeeps stolen in SoCal. I'm moving to a not so good part of town and thinking about installing a kill switch for my 2012 Jk. Don't really know much about it.

Anyone know anything about kill switches? How to install it? Will it kill the warrenty?

Thanks, Luis
Could splice into the ignition or fuel pump fuse wires on the backside of the fuse box. Run the wires and a switch where ever you want under the dash, glove box, or under the hood. But a lot of thefts are committed with tow trucks nowadays. Good luck
Old 03-27-2013, 10:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

What about one of those hydraulic brake locks? Like a line lock with a key. It would be a little harder to tow it away also unless they drag it onto a flatbed....

Quick Reply: Kill switch on a 2012?