Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lease Payments seem high. Anyone help?

Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lease Payments seem high. Anyone help?

I'm trying to order a 2013 2dr Rubicon and my payments get higher with every quote! Build price is 38,220, the first time I set foot in the door of the dealer, they quoted me 563/mo, (that's with 2k in negative equity), then when I call back three weeks later to tell them to run it without the negative, they say 590/mo! I tell them that's not right and to rerun them, but no luck. They got the same digits. What gives? I know, lots of factors: our credit is top tier, we were attempting to lease for 4 yrs in an attempt to keep the payment low. (Just gonna buy it in the end). Anyone have a similar jeep with a significantly lower payment?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are right. That is awful. You might want to consider buying it instead.

As a reference, my payments are $620 for 60 months on my 2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon and thats a purchase, not a lease.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 09 Sahara 4dr new with the Jeep Lifetime extended service contact. im paying $460 a month for 72 months, and i was around 3k upside down on my trade in vehicle loan too

I would try another dealership too just to see what kind of quote theyll give you compared to your current one

Last edited by Croce; 10-15-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just buy it. It sounds way to high. we pay $520 for 66, yes, 66 months on a 2 door 2012 Rubicon that was $34 000 out the door.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:59 PM
JK Junkie

Just buy it. My 2010 rubi is $520 on a 60 month. I have been $700 the whole time I bought it just to pay it off quicker.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi

Don't lease it if you are going to buy it in the end... never a good deal that way.

If you decide to turn a lease back in they will nickle and dime you to death on every dint, ding, scratch, spot, stain, worn tires, cleanup/detail, etc. Trust me, they always find something to generate revenue when you turn it in.

FYI... $38K at
60 months 4% is $699
66 months 4% is $643
72 months 4% is $595
Old 10-15-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Freak

As you have probably figured out that is a horrible deal. Leasing is really pretty simple. You are paying the depreciation, which is what the vehicle is worth new versus what it will be when you turn it back in, which is called residual value. Add in an interest amount called a money factor, which is how the people leasing the vehicle make money. There are leasing calculators all over the internet that can show you how bad a deal is. Depending on the depreciation schedule a longer term lease may not always have a lower payment.

There's three places you can get screwed. #1 is the price of the vehicle. If you start with sticker price, then the difference between that and the residual value is more, so you pay more each month. #2 is the money factor which is the interest rate on a lease. #3 is the residual value. Some vehicles hold their value better than others which means less depreciation. The better the car holds it's value, the lower the lease payment will be. There's a 4th factor that should never come into play. Trading a car with "negative equity" is a bad idea. Depending on some weird state tax stuff, most people are better off selling outright and dealers always lowball trades. They make their money on used cars, not new ones and screwing someone on a trade is the fastest way to make the used car manager a hero.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

How are you guys getting the payments so low? I gotta dig deeper I guess. We looked into leasing it because, although we would pay more in the end, our payments would be lower over time. It was something awful for financing it; something like 678/mo. Too high for us. We're trying to keep it under 550. So, two things here. One, maybe I need to build a cheaper Rubi, and two, I need to look into another dealer. Can I ask what you guys bought your Wranglers for, what the terms were and what the payment is? Are you using the dealer for financing? (Most Jeep dealers around here use Ally by default). I'd definately finance it if it was the same as what I'm being quoted, but these guys seem to be stuck on something.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Jedi

Well I bought my 2012 Rubicon for $36K out the door back in January. Sticker was $41K. My interest rate is 2.9% and I financed around $20K. My payment is around $360 for 5 years.

Go to ht tp://www.bankrate.com and enter your loan parameters. It will calculate the payment for you.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't lease it even if you don't want to keep it. You'll be less out of pocket by selling it. The Wrangler has always maintained excellent resale value.

Quick Reply: Lease Payments seem high. Anyone help?