Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lets talk synthetics.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got another oil change coming up and was wondering how those of you running synthetics in your jeeps like it. I've the '12 with the pentastar and I'm looking at synthetic oil for it. At what mileage did you start running synthetics and why brand?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM
JK Super Freak

You will get different opinions about this for sure...So far i opted for mid grade oil
not the bulk stuff...And change at 5000KM or before...Just my 2 cents here...
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did my first oil change 4 months after owning the Jeep after wheeling it 3 times and switched to Sythetic. Since I only drive 900 miles a month on average I did my second change after 6 more months instead of the 8000 miles recommended. I also switched my diffs to synthetic at this time and there were a bunch of metal shavings on the magent drain plug so I would go ahead and do that sooner than later... when people have custom axles built they usually swap the oil pretty quickly after they break it in b/c you are going to have more metal durring the break in than you will for the miles after that.

So:

First oil change milage 4k miles -> switched to 5w30 synthetic (penzioil platinum)
Second oil change mileage 9.5k miles (6 months later) -> ran mobil 1 5w30
diff fluid change mileage 9.5k miles - Royal Purple 75w90

I think you can't go wrong with mobil 1 or penzioil platinum (or ultra)... I just get whatever is in stock at walmart in the 5w30 weight.

edit: I also changed my air filter at 9.5k miles but it wasn't too bad.

My plan moving forward is to do this every 6 months:

Service A:
rotate tires
oil/filter chagne

Service B:
rotate tires
air filter change
diff fluid change
oil/filter change

Probably flush the radiator at 30k miles but for me that 2 years away.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 AM
JK Freak

I've had my jeep for 2years and I haven't changed any of my diff. fluid. Should I

Quick Reply: Lets talk synthetics.